Internet Scams

Ric

Reaction score
What are the best internet scams you've heard of, please be as informative as possible so that other users can be pre-warned !!!

Reaction score
Anyone heard of the eBay powerbook scam?

Well If you've got some time to spare read this but make sure you read it thoroughly.

I was in stitches and think it's the best scam ever because the victim doesn't get scammed but scams the scammer. :rolleyes:

The best is the picture of the p-p-powerbook!

Attachments

• thepowerbook.pdf
    638.9 KB · Views: 868

Ric

Reaction score
Very tricky !

Not sure if I missed it in the PDF, but if you want to find out what happened then the end can be found here...

Reaction score
YES!!!! The P-P-PowerBook scam was the best!!!! Best prank ever. Serves that guy right to get scamed. "The scammer has becomed the scamed!"

Reaction score
I just read the pppowerbook scam....funny as hell! Well, the reverse is currently happening to me. I have someone trying to sell me a powerbook G4. Clearly, it is bogus. Yesterday, I received this email:

I saw you were bidding on this product: Powerbook G4 [I edited this out]. I can sell you the same item, brand new, with the same accessories. Reply to me as soon as possibly and tell me what product to buy.

What does he mean "what product to buy?!!" I thought it was pretty clear.

So I wanted to learn more and sent this email:

hmmmm...this is interesting. What's the catch? How much? If it comes with all the accessories, then it has the apple care too?

I recieved this email almost right away. As if he was waiting for my reply.

First of all, I am going to tell you a few things before ending this deal. I travel a lot and now I am in Europe. The item is going to be shipped from Europe also. My item is brand new and includes all the accessories as well as an international warranty. I will pay for all shipping taxes. If you wish, you can send me your full shipping info so I can make a reservation in your name. The price of the item is 1300 dollars flat. I set up an insurance with ebay that guaranties 100 percent of this deal. If you wish, I can contact ebay right now to have them send you an invoice with my insurance. If you agree on my terms, I think we can close the deal right now. Best regards.

I smelled bull, but I continued to lead him on. When I was writing him a reply, my computer froze (that's why I am buying a mac), so I wasn't sure if he got it. So I wrote him another one which is playing up that I don't know anything about computers.

My computer froze...I am so terrible with computers. I am only looking at a mac because my friends say it is the best for word documents and surfing the web. That is pretty much all I do on the computer!!! So, I am not sure if you received my last email. So here is the summary:
Send the invoice
Attach pics of the computer box and accessories
What is an international warranty...Apple CAre?
I would feel bad if you paid for all the taxes, I would help you pay for them.
Thanks a million,
Paul

I got this email which answers NONE of my questions:

ok, but I need your full name and address

This guy really wants my address for some reason. Maybe he is fancies me or something. I wrote him back a clever email:

Hello again!
Before I give you my address (I can't wait to get this thing!!!), I would like you to answer a few q's about the computer. I don't mean to sound rude, but you did not answer any of my previous questions. So please answer these THREE questions: What is an international warranty? To use the iSight built-in camera, do I need to install any drivers? To run windows apps, I need a program called "bootcamp." Does the computer come with bootcamp? Also, please email me some pics of the computer. Thanks again,
Paul

I wanted to see just how much he knew about this product. The CORRECT answers to the second and third question are "this computer does not have an iSight camera" and, "these computers cannot run windows apps." This is how he responded:

yes, it has a one years interntaional warranty so if you have problems with the laptop you can go to any service repair. the item will come with bootcamp. please tell me what colour you like [13 pics were attached].

THAT WAS THE MOST GENERIC ANSWER FOR THE INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY!! As for the computer coming with bootcamp...why would a computer that can't play windows come with bootcamp. And he didn't even answer the camera question. "What color do you like"!!!! After making sure the attachments were not viruses, I looked at the 13 pics. They were all generic pics of the COMPUTER OUT OF THE BOX! WHAT!!?? 12 pics were a white computer, 1 pic was a black computer! Now correct me if I am wrong, but the powerbook G4s only come in white...right!!??

So this is where I am at now. I am looking for some good ideas to screw this guy. Anybody got anything?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

Sounds like he's trying really hard !

As for messing with them, you have to be a bit careful that it doesn't back fire on you...

You could always post their info online !

regards

Reaction score
Hey...thanks for the reply. What information are you talking about (email address?)? Where would I post it? Well, I haven't emailed him for a long time. I am still up for ideas! He didn't email me through ebay...how did he get my email address?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

could it just have been a 'spam' coincidence that he sent that email...

Send me the original email if you want and I'll have a look...

(e-mail address removed)

regards

Ric

Ask a Question