Interesting thoughts on filming the screen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Another stupid question from Granty, aka Tartansparkle. When I am watching tutorials on the web for whatever reason; a lesson on Tiger or a Photoshop tutorial I can't quite get my head around how these screens are filmed? I mean...watching the given tutorial we are shown how the actual screen and whatever is happening on it. Just wondering if this is just a straight forward case of filming the screen of the mac/pc via a camera? Or is there a way to film whatever you are doing from inside as such.

Basically, just as we can capture a shot of the screen and print it, can we film the goings on in the screen? Whenever I have seen a screen being recorded it flickers.

Cheers

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

there are quite a few differnet Applications that can do this...

The most popular one (the one that I use !) is SnapzProX (with movies), as far as I know though this has not been updated yet for Intel Macs.

iShowU works on Intel Macs but I've not tried it...

All the video's on mac-help.com are captured with Snapz, then most of them are compressed with QuickTime Pro, some are edited further with Final Cut Express.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Wow, thanks Ric, this is exactly what I was thinking about. That's pretty awesome that its so easy and I guess eternally useful for trying to explain things to people. Genius, good job!

Ric

Reaction score
Certainly makes my life easier... ;-)

The files can get very large though (GB's) and QuickTime Pro can take a while...overnight to shrink them.

Ask a Question