Instalation Problems

Reaction score
Hello all

Having finally bought Tiger 10.4 cheap off eBay I received it today.

I put the dvd in and started the installation, then got an Alert message saying that I could not install this software onto my computer.

Anyone know what the problem is and/or how I can fix it?

Only thing I can think of is that the OS came with the updated iMac G5's while I have the original 'older' model.

Here's the item

Tiger

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

If your iMac is a G4, this install disc set will not install on your Mac. As stated, it's for a G5 iMac.

Sorry.

Reaction score
I have iMac G5

But these disks i are intended for the 'iSight G5' so is there any chance of getting them to work on my 'older' model?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there D,

ahh the old ebay trap !

You can try XpostFacto that may help !

If not I'll dig out the install text...there is a way of changing the Install Script so that it should install.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there D,

Give this a go...this will not work with every disk it depends where the "Install Script" is !

Go to Applications->Utilities and open Disk Utility.

Insert your Tiger DVD.

Select Session 1 of the Tiger DVD and press the New Image button.

tiger_install0001.jpg

Name the image file and press OK. You can name it what you like.

tiger_install0002.jpg

You want to create a DVD/CD Master as below...

tiger_install0003.jpg

Once this has done quit out of Disk Utility and eject the DVD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we edit the install Script so that the Disk will install on any Mac.
You must have a a license for each machine you install it on !!!

Double click on the new image file to mount it.

tiger_install0004.jpg

On the mounted install image, go to the folder...

System > Installation > Packages

tiger_install0005.jpg

If on your Disk you cannot see a folder called System, don't worry, it is there just hidden.

You will have to use the 'Go to Folder...' menu in the Finder.

First copy the name of the disk on the Desktop, then click the 'Go to Folder...' menu in the Finder and type in...

/Volumes/

Then paste...

Then type in...

/System/Installation/Packages

So on my disk it would look like this...

tiger_install0001a.jpg

The full text for mine is...

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages

This will then open a new window !

tiger_install0001b.jpg

Scroll down to find the file called OSInstall.mpkg then Control-click on on it and select Show Package Contents from the pop-up menu.

tiger_install0006.jpg

Go into the Contents folder, and control-click on OSInstall.dist.

tiger_install0007.jpg

Select Open With Other from the pop-up menu, then navigate to where Text Edit is, and click Open.

tiger_install0008.jpg

Look for the following lines of code...

tiger_install0009.jpg

...and delete all the text between the square brackets !

tiger_install0012.jpg

Now do a save as (to the Desktop) using the name "OSInstall.dist" without the .txt ending.

tiger_install0013.jpg

Drag the new OSInstall.dist into the window that has the contents of OSInstall.mpkg.

It will ask you whether to replace the old one or not. Choose Replace.

Unmount the disk image. This writes the changes you have made back to the DVD/CD Master Image file !

Go into disk utility. Select your image and then press Burn.

Once it's burnt, that DVD should now boot/install on your Mac.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...if the "OSInstall.dist" is not to be found then it may be this file that be that you need to edit...

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg/Contents/InstallationCheck

Again you will need to edit it in TextEdit and delete out the reference to the Machine you are trying to install onto.

textwranglerTiger.jpg

You should be able to delete the whole block that I have highlighted but I haven't tried it !!

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric.

I've followed your great guide but I'm having a problem burning the image as the DvD is 5.54GB and my Blank DvDs can only hold 4.7GB and my DvD writer isn't a duel layer.

Could I possibly remove some fat from the disk image such as take the Xcode tools out ?

Reaction score
Also is there any 'editing' I need to do on the second installation DvD, or can I just install that with no fuss when it prompts me to insert the second dvd?

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
...Could I possibly remove some fat from the disk image such as take the Xcode tools out ?

I don't see why not...(not that I'd call Xcode fat ;-) )

Create a new folder on the Desktop with the same name and then copy that over to the disk image to replace the one that's there.

Xcode folder is about 740MB.

The install disk you have will probably have a lot of additional software that you can remove to make an Install disk, then install those items after using your original disk.

If you turn on "Invisibles" then you can see the files easier...try the little beta App that I made (attached) then you can dig through the "Additional Packages" and remove a few so that you can burn the disk.

removepackages.jpg

Danster said:
Also is there any 'editing' I need to do on the second installation DvD, or can I just install that with no fuss when it prompts me to insert the second dvd?

Not as far as I am aware...I haven't got a Disk 2 with me...they're at the office.

But the problem you were having was to do with the 'initial' install so it should be fine.

regards

Ric

Attachments

• Invisibility 1.0.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 305
Reaction score
I'm still having problems burning the image unfortunatly, i removed the Xcode Tools then put the new (empty) Xcode folder in (wouldn't let me directly replace it)

The disk image file size stayed the same still. Any advise on removing other apps?

Ric

Reaction score
You will need to create a new 'Blank' disk image and then copy all the data across...

There are ways to do this in Terminal using hdiutil...but it's a bit late for those of us with ankle biters...

Try this...

blankdiskimage0015.jpg

blankdiskimage0016.jpg

Name it exactly as the OS X disk 1 that you have...

Then strip the original DVD master image of any bits that you don't need (empty the wastebasket !) then use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy for the Stripped mounted image to the new Blank .dmg that you created....once it has copied you can then burn that to DVD.

If you're not sure what I mean I'll explain further tomorrow...

Or you could just pop to the Trafford Center and get the Retail Version ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Then strip the original DVD master image of any bits that you don't need (empty the wastebasket !) then use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy for the Stripped mounted image to the new Blank .dmg that you created....once it has copied you can then burn that to DVD.

Not sure what you mean what bits I don't need. I took the Xcode tools out but i think the size is borderline, so is there any more stuff I can take out?

Thanks

Reaction score
I've decided to bin the item, I'm thinking of upgrading to an intel iMac (when i get my summer job) so will get Tiger with that :)

As always thanks a bundle for your help Ric.

Ask a Question