Imaginary network won't go away!

Reaction score
I know, this is going to sound crazy, but here goes:
When I was setting up my wireless settings on my Linksys router, WRT54G 1.1 and I didn't know what I was doing... I tried many different settings and somehow (I think it was through the setting Wireless MAC Filter trying to choose the computers in my house as priority or the only computers to be on my network. (I struggle between leaving the network password protected or not because I want to be able to let others use it if they need it, but not clog it down for me and my housemates)
Well, that didn't work for anything and I had to reset everything (several times because I was randomly trying everything... little knowledge is the worst, isn't it)
Well, I have a new and working fine network that (sigh) is password protected and everything... but that old one STILL shows up as a network. Not that anyone can access it, including me.
How in the heck does it still exist?
How do I get rid of it? (it drives me nutty and doesn't make sense to my simple mind)
Why is it still there?
I reset reset the router several times; the whole push the little button and have it off for a while dealie doo.
It's just really weird to me and I'd like to get rid of it.
Any ideas how, why and what to do?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

can you give a screengrab of what you are seeing ?

It sounds more like the old Network 'name' is being remembered by your Mac...the network itself is probably not there...you have reset the router, so I doubt it is still present.

Have a look in System Preferences-->Network

Then select Show: Airport

Then select the Airport tab...

If the network name is listed just select it and click the - sign...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric,
Ok, so... I have weird network names. But the one that no longer exists, is called "turkies" the one that works fine and exists, but sadly is not password protected is
"turkie" (just the ‘s’ is different)
So here are screen shots of both my airport network pull down screen and from prefs>network>airport. you'll see that the "turkies" isn't present in the sys prefs
and of the widget I have up to see what wireless are around....

See "turkies" is listed in options, but not in prefs and I have reset the router sooo many times since I accidentally made "turkies" plus... I can't get on it anyway.

Also here are screen shots from my linksys setup page - what's that called? Where I’m pretty sure is where I changed the settings for the MAC address and got the whole thing messed up from when I was trying to do things I don’t understand on “turkies”

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• air_pulldown.png
    air_pulldown.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 454
  • sysprefs.jpg
    sysprefs.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 386
  • widget.png
    widget.png
    9 KB · Views: 371
  • linksys.jpg
    linksys.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 395

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

this may be stating the obvious but 'turkies' isn't further down in the list is it...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I did scroll down... it's not further down on the list; I've checked many times.
Any other thoughts?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

next then, delete the "com.apple.airport.preferences.plist" file...

It can be found, Library-->Preferences-->SystemConfiguration Folder

This will also get rid of all the other networks ...so you will have to reapply those.

Delete the file then restart then reconfigure your Airport settings.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
so... I did all this and it's still there.
but I had to reconfigure the correct connection....
any other thoughts?

Reaction score
So, my imaginary network is still visible... but I'm moving and while it shouldnt' matter because I'm leaving the router at that house - it still bothers me and I'd rather clean it up before I leave.
Also, I have to buy a new wireless router for the new house - any suggestions for someone on a very limited budget? cnet rates the NetGear MR814 802.11b Cable/DSL Wireless Router over the Linksys. Actually they don't rate the Linksys well at all - I trust yall tons, so any thoughts would be great!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

download iStumbler and see what the MAC address is of the turkies network ?

Is it the same as your turkie network ?

If it is then the Router is still configured to send out two networks.

If it is a different MAC Address, then find out what device has that MAC address...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric!
So here's a pic of what iStumbler says... but the funny thing is; my computer isn't either of those MAC addresses - and at the moment, I'm the only computer running.
I hate how I don't understand any of this! My MAC address and Airport ID are the same; ending in 28:de ((I dont' know if it matters posting my addresses like this?)) repeat: I hate not understanding this!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

can you send (e-mail address removed) the picture... I do understand this stuff ;-)

regards

Ric

Ask a Question