iMac with OSX 10.3 kernal panic--help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an iMac with OSX Panther 10.3. This afternoon I decided to update a lot of the software that was on the computer (used the Software Update on the computer preferences), and also downloaded a bunch of free software that looked useful. (I don't always do the updates because I have a slow dial-up connection at home, but this weekend I brought my home computer to a friend's office with a faster connection so I could do this.) Apparently that was a BIG mistake. I left for a while, came back and discovered that not all of the Mac OSX update had been installed, and when I clicked on something (could have just been any place--I don't know), I got what I now know is a KERNAL PANIC. :eek: I repeatedly got the black drop-down screen that has a multilingual message to restart the computer.

I read some responses to questions about this on a Mac forum via the Apple main site, and tried to follow some of the suggestions. I tried to reboot the computer several times, using my OSX 10.3 Install Disk (didn't work) and then my original iMac OSX Install Disk. I could get the Disk Utility to open, eventually, and two hard disk icons appeared: 38.16 GB Maxtor and 743.29 MB HL- . (The name of my hard drive had been Scribe, so this is not the same hard drive name obviously.)

I chose the hard drive called 38.16 GB Maxtor, chose First Aid, and clicked on Verify. I got this list:
Verifying disk "Macintosh HD"
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extentes Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking volume bitmap.
[in red] Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
[in red] Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 6432952 instead of 6432857)
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.
Verify completed.

I could not Verify the hard drive icon labelled 743.29 MB HL-

I tried to install OS X but got a message that I couldn't install older software on top of the newer software (presumably OS X 10.3 that I had on the computer already?). I saw a message on a forum saying to go to Partition on the Disk Utility and to choose the smallest partition. (This is really foreign territory to me--I'm not very computer-savvy although I use mine a lot.) There was no such information and the windows were sort of greyed-out.

I tried to use the OS X 10.3 Install Disk again, but got the Kernel Panic message (same one).

Now what? Have I lost all of what I had on my computer (which was a great deal, including some registered software (Sibelius 3))? Can I retrieve it? How can I get my computer to work again?

By the way, if I go to the Apple icon and drop the menu down, all of the items are greyed-out, and I can't even see "About This Mac."

Please help, and please don't assume that I know anything beyond basic usage.

Thanks so much!

yours in a panic,
Kirinphoebe :confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Have you got any further yet ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi--Thanks for the welcome! And no--I haven't gotten any further, and am hoping for some help. Is my only option to erase the hard drive and start again? Oh, I hope not...

Thanks for your help,

Kirinphoebe

Reaction score
Re: iMac with OSX 10.3 kernal panic--some progress!! But trouble with Word

Amazing. I managed to restore most of everything by connecting my iMac to the MiniMac at my office. It was a lucky guess on my part (and I also backed up all my files to my PowerBook G4 while I was at it). The one BIG problem which remains is that Microsoft Word is now completely non-functioning on my iMac. How can I get it back? I hesitate to use my Restore Software disks because I don't want to lose the updates which were my quest for this long complicated mess in the first place, but is that my only option?

Ric

Reaction score
I have closed this thread...and answered in your other thread.

regards

Ric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question