iMac Start-up problem

Reaction score
Hi, there!
I am new to OSX and I have the following problem:

Recently I bought a second-hand iMac Intel 1,83 GHz, 17" and when I turn it on the screen goes white and after a while (30s) it shows a folder icon with questionmark in it and that's all. iMac gives no sounds

I didn't get any DVDs with SW with my iMac but i borrow Tiger OSX from my friend and I can't halp myself with it.

If I press 'C' during sturt-up nothing changes and that is the case no metter what key i hold when I'm starting my computer. Only if I hold down 'F1' key instead of folder with questionmark icon a globe icon appers and sometimes starts to blink.

Please tell me if there is something wrong with my iMac or is just OS that is missing and what steps should I take to solve the problem.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

the DVD you have borrowed...is it for an Intel Mac ?

Did you buy the machine as 'working' ?

Even if there was no Hard drive in it etc the DVD would boot the Mac.

Check it's an Intel one and let us know...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi!
I checked and the OSX was bundled with G5 iMac. SO I guess I have to buy OSX for Intel. I would do that before but I would like to be sure there is nothing wrong with my iMac.

Yes, I bought computer as "as new".

So how can I test iMac that it is only OS that is missing and that there is everything OK with my HW before I buy original OSX?

Dani

Ask a Question