IMac G5 advice

Reaction score
hey

im new to macs in general , and have decided to make the "switch":D (afte being in a recording studio running "pro tools")..i want to be an audio engineer , im in year 11 ,and im thinkingof getting one of the new G5 desktops probably the "iMac 17-inch 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo" ,i am really intersted in recording music/guitar into my mac, ..i dont play alot of games, but surf the net alot for school assignments...my question will it fit what i want to do?...

oh, and i think i will need to run some windows programs(guitar pro..ect)..i read some stuff about a "dual boot"...will it run windows programs at faster speeds or less?..forgive me if its a stupid question:p...
thanks

cheers
michael in australia:)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Michael and welcome !

The Mac you're thinking of getting will be ideal, the 'Pro' software has just been updated so that it runs natively on the Intel chip so it should run very fast.

Surfing is a bit more fun, no adware and virus problems (at present).

As far as I am aware, dual booting is not as easy as it should be yet...technically the new Macs use EFi to boot and not BIOS as Win XP does...there are a few people on the Internet who have dual booted...but these were the original test Intel Macs.

As far as I know (today) the next version of Windows should install okay. Keep Googling and maybe someone will come up with an easy way of getting Win XP on the new Macs.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
hey,

thanks for the reply,

umm couple of questions:)..well on this computer(windows XP) we have a cable internet modem(SB5100 surfboard cable modem) and a D-link wireless router(for my brothers computer)...my new mac would go in my room, do i need to buy anymore gear to hook my mac up to the internet, i dont wanna drop any speed...

and another one....
im not sure what to order in my mac, ram wise ...i am thinking 1GB ....if thats a good choice , whats "better" 2x512 or 1x 1GB, they are both the same price ..

cheers

michael

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Michael,

the new iMac's come with a Wireless card built in, so that can just hook up to your wireless network...it will work fine with your Dlink. Nothing extra required.

Depending on If the 1 x 1GB is the same price as the 2 x 512GB then go for the 1 x 1GB then if you want to upgrade the RAM later on you can just pop in another 1GB chip or a 512MB chip.

The iMac has two RAM slots, so if you have the 2 x 512MB then to upgrade, you would have to take one out, and replace it with a bigger one...bit of a waste unless you have another Mac that you can use the spare chip.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question