iMac g5 17" LCD Inverters

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'll ask that you bear with me here, as I'm completely new to the mac world (in case the username didn't give it away). What I know about this computer is as follows: it's a circa 2005 iMac G5, 1.8 GHz 17" display.

I recently picked up this half-dead iMac G5 on craigslist and decided to tinker with it. It powered on OK except the screen was completely black. What I've got it narrowed down to is a bad inverter board, as there's clear evidence of burnt out components all over it. In all my haste, I jumped on eBay and bought what looked like the right component to replace it with.

Thing is, looking at it closer, the burnt out inverter seems to have the number 614-0340-A printed on the board, whereas the one I just bought says 614-0339.

My question is this: I know that both of these inverters go to iMac G5 17" displays, is there a great difference between them, or can they be used interchangeably? I know I'm only $25 in on this potential investment, but I'd rather not kill the logic board while I'm swapping out parts I have no experience with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Ask a Question