iMac DVD Problem

Reaction score
I inserted disk in drive before starting the DVD Player. When I started Player it displays the following messages:

There was an initialization error
A valid DVD drive could not be found [-70012]

It does not recognize that there was a disk in drive and I am unable to remove the disk. I've tried various suggestions I found at Apple Support including:
> pressing keyboard eject
> holding down the mouse button on restart
> manual eject with paperclip
> disk utility

DVD has disappeared as a hardware component.

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. I inserted a DVD and the computer isn't recognising that there's anything in the drive. I also got the same error message. I've tried all the recommended steps, and nothing has worked.

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem occur last year. The problem was resolved through a downloaded update to unrelated software. The DVD popped out in the initialization process of doing the update. I don't recall the software that was being updated though it might have been Parallels.

Reaction score
i Have this problem as well. It won't recognize that the dis is already inside the program inside the MAC

Reaction score
I had to have imac taken apart to remove dvd. Service center (not Apple) said I would need a new mother board. The only need I've had for a dvd is the iWork update issued last year. I plan to purchase an external drive if I have a critical update (OS) from a dvd.

Reaction score
HMMM, THANKS FOR YOUR INFO HERE, FORTUNATELY MY Imac ALL IN ONE IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY ONLY HAVE IT FOR 8 MONTHS NOW AND HAD TO SEND IT BACK ALREADY 3 TIMES. The Best Buy Store told me if something else happens this time they will just give me a new one rather thean fixing this one again. Boy oh boy! Thanks for you input. I'm so glad i have my Warranty on m mac, i really love my mac, First time around owning one, it is a different learning experience, but boy oh boy such a BIG difference from Windows. i wouldn't go back to windows now ...

Reaction score
My was off warranty and I had let the opportunity to put it on an extended warranty plan. I too like the iMac; it's my first Apple after years of IBM and Microsoft. I used Microsoft before Windows.

Reaction score
Ditto, here.
Well, Monday i will pack my mac up and head to Best Buy, and see what happens, I'n still trying to eject the CD, when i shut down, and then start up, the CD shows up on my desktop, but when I right click to eject it, nothing happens, then if I try to drag and drop it into the trash bin, the trash biin closes up on me

Attachments

• Disc & Trash neither of them acknowledge disc .jpg
    Disc & Trash neither of them acknowledge disc .jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 373

Ask a Question