Ominous music virus

Reaction score
Twice in the last week, while streaming Xfinity through my iMac, an approximately 15 second clip of ominous sounding music played over the volumn of the show I was watching. I tried to get out of Xfinity but I couldn't. Once the music ended, the Spotify icon in my dock had a question mark on it. I dumped Spotify and downloaded it again. No problems. It plays. However, the music returned last night. I couldn't spot anything obvious is may have left. Is anyone familiar with this? Can someone help. Thanks.

Reaction score
I am also an XFinity customer, but I have not experienced the issue you are having (I don't do streaming, as I have other ways I can watch something). Need to know the following:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You actually can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs out there (both free and not free) that can help you.

3. Are you making backups to an external device? That is critical.

4. What third party products do you have? When you "move" to a new OS, there is the possibility that some/all of that software will need to be upgraded also.

5. How long has this been going on?

6. Have you done any recent software updates/installations?

By the way, my hardware setup for my "main" connection to XFinity is:

1. An Arris Telephony modem (I have both Internet and Landline phone service with them, along with TV).

2. A Netgear router.

3. A late 2012 Mac Mini, and I am using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.5.

Have you talked with XFinity about this? Also, you might want to try and power down your modem and router, per XFinity instructions, then power them back on, again in the sequence XFinity states.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

1. 21.6-inch macOS Sierra version 10.12.5, Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

2. I ran Clean My Mac last night

4. I’m not exactly what you mean by third-party products.

5. Twice in the last week.

6 No.

The room does not have capability for cable.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Clean My Mac is OK (it's an example of a third party product), but I myself use the free, venerable, solid program Onyx, and similar accolades for the commercial product Tech Tool Pro. Along with doing daily disk cleanup on my own (you can do that also), my Macs are "lean, mean, and clean". And just like owning a Toyota (which we do), my machines are trouble free. Of course, I am using Onyx, Tech Tool Pro, and SuperDuper! (for backups) once a week. Might seem like "over kill", but better to be pro-active, and be safe than sorry.

As for third party products, I mean any software other than either the ones Apple provides, or Apple software you can buy. For example, here are some of the third party products I have:

Onyx
Tech Tool Pro
1Password
Quicken
VLC
Transmission
SuperDuper!
EasyFind
Office 2016 (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
AppCleaner
TrashIt!

As for "The room does not have capability for cable", what device/devices is/are you using to connect to the internet provided by XFinity?

Finally, you did not mention anything about backups to an external device. Are you doing that?

Reaction score
I know this may sound silly, but I thought the cloud was a backup source.

I use Xfinity's website which streams a lot of what they offer via cable. I have a 21-inch Acer monitor that I primarily use for watching Xfinity.

I appreciate your willingness to assist me.

Reaction score
OK, I see. You are accessing XFinity through the web, with your browser. Again, I don't do that (at least the streaming functionality), as I have other means for watching shows, movies, etc. I do view some TV episodes via XFinity directly through my browser. By the way, what browser are you using? I use Google Chrome about 98% of the time, and Opera the remaining 2%. Safari is just too slow. You might want to try another browser. Also, I assume you have Xfinity as your ISP (as do I). What brand modem and/or router are you using?

I I do my backups the "old fashioned" way, to two external drives with SuperDuper!. I just don't want my personal information in the "cloud". This link describes how to back up to icloud:

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&...bVAhVE5mMKHZgRBLMQ3rMBCEYoAg&biw=1278&bih=793

Reaction score
OK, I see. You are accessing XFinity through the web, with your browser. Again, I don't do that (at least the streaming functionality), as I have other means for watching shows, movies, etc. I do view some TV episodes via XFinity directly through my browser. By the way, what browser are you using? I use Google Chrome about 98% of the time, and Opera the remaining 2%. Safari is just too slow. You might want to try another browser. Also, I assume you have Xfinity as your ISP (as do I). What brand modem and/or router are you using?

I I do my backups the "old fashioned" way, to two external drives with SuperDuper!. I just don't want my personal information in the "cloud". This link describes how to back up to icloud:

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS628US629&q=How+to+backup+a+Mac+to+icloud?&ved=0ahUKEwi6_Zrt_YbVAhVE5mMKHZgRBLMQ3rMBCEYoAg&biw=1278&bih=793

I use Firefox and usually have windows open on my Mac and monitor.

Ask a Question