iBook trackpad button

Reaction score
Has anyone any experience with trackpad button problems? Specifically, a single click is sometimes registered as a double click, sometimes a click doesn't register at all, and sometimes if i click & hold (to drag, for instance) it will "unclick" itself while i'm still holding the darned thing down.

I'm using a 14" iBook G4 running OS X 10.4.4. I took it to my local Genius Bar today, but, of course, the problem did not manifest itself for the genius. He suggested we pack it up and send it off to see if their techs can find the problem, but i'm not sure i want to be without my iBook for something that's not "mission critical."

I'm assuming this is a hardware issue, but it could be software/firmware. I would just like to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Judy

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome Judy !

Before we come up with any ideas, can you have a look in the

System Preferences-->Keyboard & Mouse-->Trackpad

and do a screen grab of it, then post it here. (add it as an attachment, to a post)

It should look something like this...

trackpad001.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Here you go; i think i did this right...

Attachments

• trackpad prefs.jpg
    trackpad prefs.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 633

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic Judy,

everything looks fine there ! Just wanted to check whether 'trackpad clicking' was on really...

The only thing I can suggest is to keep an eye on it, and if it gets any worse ship it off whilst it's under warranty !

I'll keep digging in case I find anything out...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks to a message on another board, i have at least narrowed this down to a hardware problem (i think). I downloaded & installed something called Sidetrack, which replaces the Apple trackpad driver. While it's an impressive piece of software, it did not solve my problem :(

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Judy,

maybe it's best to let the engineers have a look, depending on where/how you use your iBook they can be a pain to use without a fully functioning trackpad/button.

Probably best to remove Sidetrack if you decide to send it in.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question