ibook screen lockup

Reaction score
Hi! I have a 700MHz ibook that has been a good portable until recently. My son took it to college (no, he took care of it!) and used it every once in a while, but it may have been three week between his uses. When he last tried booting up, the screen did not come on. When I got it, the screen would light up about once every 4 boots, even though the HD seemed to boot up from the sound of it, every time. When it does boot up okay, I can tap on the trackpad or anywhere on the case, and there is static that appears on the screen. then, the top of the screen may briefly appear in the center of the screen, and then everything locks up and I have to hold down the power button to reboot. The last few times I have tried it, I did not even have to tap on the case. After a minute or so, it started acting up on its own. It has gradually gotten worse until it is now completely unusable. This is way out of warranty, and I was wondering if there is any one who might know what is wrong, or do I have to take it to an Apple store (the nearest authorised dealer is about 75 miles from me!)
Help!:(

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

certainly sounds like a hardware issue !

It could just be the LCD cable that connects the screen to the motherboard, but it's very hard to tell without seeing it...

...I'll have a look around to see if I can find any pictures of where you need to look...

Can you give me the Model Number, then I can make sure I'm looking at the same one as you.

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric, I doubt it is the cable. I have taken the botom off and wiggled the cable, unplugged it and plugged it back up, and it makes no difference. I guess I was just hoping that someone had run across the same error and it was simple (like waving a wand and saying "Apple is God... Apple is God..." over it to awaken it to its senses. BTW it is a 700 MHz opaque white dual usb -- It does NOT have a reset buton near the audio out.

Ric

Reaction score
If you've already had a wiggle of the cable, sounds like you're going to have a nice drive...

Can't think of any magic fix, sorry ! It could still be the cable they sometimes get a bit brittle and break internally, but then again it could be the logic board ;-(

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric, thanks for your help. I found the following website:
http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ibook/faq/
which describes my symptoms exactly, but the program to get it fixed is over. I called and they said it would cost me min of $380 to replace the mother board -- Sigh! Too soon old, too late smart or rich.

Ric

Reaction score
No problem...

Cheapest I've seen them is $349 but then you have to install yourself.

Broken iBooks such as yours are selling for around $100-200 on eBay.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I had same problem 9 months ago. May well be worth a shot asking apple.

Sorry they didn't keep the offer open longer for you. Why don't you get a mac mini - much, much faster than our ibook.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

as eagerterrier says it may be worth a go !

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

Apple said:
How long is the Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program available?
The program covers affected iBooks for three years after the first retail sale of the unit or until March 18, 2005, whichever provides longer coverage for you. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question