ibook question

Reaction score
I have an Apple G3 ibook.

I want to hook up a webcam. Do you know what type would be best?

Also, I need to get an Airport base. Can I just buy a new one? Would it still be compatible with what I have?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,

I personally have an Apple iSight, and a QuickCam Sphere (orbit in the USA).

The iSight connects via Firewire so can transmit more data (who evers viewing gets a better picture!)

The QuickCam one connects via USB and is quite old now, I just use it to grab still pictures.

I presume you have a Firewire port on your iBook (my wife's G3 iBook has one !).

The iSight is by far the best "webcam" that I personally have used, it is quite expensive though.

Does your iBook have an Airport card ? Is there anything else on you network that you want to connect to, because there are various options that I can suggest...

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

I concur...the iSight is simply the best webcam out there.

As to the AirPort question...you will need to verifiy that your iBook has an AirPort card in it (via System Profiler). If it does, you can just buy an AirPort Base Station...if not, you'll need an AirPort card as well.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. With a Mac (and an iSight), am I able to hook up to MSN messenger?(This is my first Mac - I am pretty good with computers, but this is all ne to me!)

Ric

Reaction score
I haven't used MSN Messenger myself, (Cory?) but I will gladly put a copy on my Mac and give it a test ride. I can't see why it wouldn't work !

I would suggest you have a look on the Apple iSight pages they have some good info there.

iChat working with an iSight is very good ! Have a look here

...oops have just remembered...

iSight 'technically doesn't work with a G3 iBook, (unless it's 600mhz up)

I have however got my iSight to work on my Wife's iBook and her's is a 500mhz one, it needs a piece of software called iGlasses, to trick it !

Hmm you'll have to let us know what 'speed' your iBook is ?

regards

Ric

Ask a Question