iBook G4 -Kernel Panic

Reaction score
Re: G4 powermac 10.8.2 in endless loop on sign-on

Im in serious need of some help here. My roommate just picked up a used iBook G4. In the process of cleaning up the harddrive...he literally dragged it into the recycle bin...restarted the computer...and it came up w/ this screen immediatly following that...

Panic(cpu 0 caller 0x002E0368): Unable to find driver for this platform: “PowerBook6, 7”.

Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace:
0x00095718 0x00095C30 0x0002683C 0x002E0368 0x002BF6F4 0x002BF4BC 0x002BFF24
0x002C0590 (this was on the above line)
0x000A9894
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x00529A000)
PC=0x00000000; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0x00000000; DSISR=0x00000000; LR=0x00000000; R1=0x00000000; XCP=0x00000000 (Unknown)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.5.0: Sun Jan 22 10:38:46 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.6.61.obj~1/REALEASE_PPC

No debugger configured – dumping debug information
MSR=00001030
Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace:
0x00095718 0x00095E18 0x0002683C 0x002E0368 0x002BF6F4 0x002BF4BC 0x002BFF24 0x002C0590
0x000A9894
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x00529A000)
PC=0x00000000; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0x00000000; DSISR=0x00000000; LR=0x00000000; R1=0x00000000; XCP=0x00000000 (Unknown)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.5.0: Sun Jan 22 10:38:46 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.6.61.obj~1/REALEASE_PPC
panic: We are hanging here…

I have tired everything. I have tried booting from Command - C. Commnd - S. I have tried using Command - ALT - O - F open in the Open Fire wall. I have tried starting the computer...simply holding down ALT...which gives you the option to boot directly from the hard drive or the operating system disk...nothing. I have tried every repair disk I have and have tried manually booting from them. Sometimes I get a screen that has an apple in the back round...then turns into a circle w/ a slash thru it.
The operating system he is running is OS X Panther Version 10.3. I tired booting from these disks...the repair disks...the software restore disks...and the Apple Hardware Test.
I have educated myself to the best of my ability...but I am just out of my league. My roommate is an idiot and isnt sure himself. I know of the PMC and the PRAM...but nothing really specific about them. I know resetting them starts everthing over...but Im not even sure how to go about this. Any help anyone can provide would be completly appriciated! Thanks...

Ric

Reaction score

Hi there and welcome,

I have moved your 'question' to it's own place...

It's best starting a new thread...then more people see it.

So if I have this correct...the hard drive icon was dragged to the trash and then restarted ?

Try putting in the System CD and holding down 'c' this should boot from the disk and allow us to fix it...

When you rebooted holding down the 'option' key (alt =windows) you say it gave you the option of the install CD...did you select the CD (tab across) or would it just not boot ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score

Hi there,

Reseting the PRAM

To reset the PRAM hold down command+option+p+r then press the power on key whilst holding them all down...untill you here the startup chime twice...then let go of the keys to let the Mac boot...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

the Circle with slash—means that Open Firmware could not find BootX on the startup volume...

...which is what you would expect...seeing as it was out in the bin ;-)

This however, should not stop the Mac booting from a 'good' startup CD or DVD...

Try resetting the PRAM..then try rebooting with an install CD (keeping the c key held down...)

Let us know how you get on...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...please also if you have any questions in the future just post it once !

There is no need to repost the same question 5 or 6 times !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the prompt reply. As you can see my the mutiple posts...Im VERY new to the MAC world and more farmiliar w/ WINDOWS terms and such.
Thank you for the promt correction as well...i made the same mistake in a few places but you guys were the only one to tell me how to correct it so i don't do it again...i was just trying to attract attention.
I'll check these options u gave me out and get back to you asap.
Thanks again!

Reaction score
I have tried holding C down while i booted from the Black Panther disk as well as the iBook OS X Install CD...w/ the Panther disk itself I had the Apple in the backround and then it froze. It looked like a graphic error right above it...the screen just froze and a line appeared above the Apple and then it stopped. From the Install disk...it just took my back to the kernal panic.
I would assume reseeting the PRAM would be the wisest manuver then at this point so I am going to give it a shot.
Thanks for the help so far!

Reaction score
I also tried resetting the PRAM...like...6 different times...but it keeps taking me back to the kernel panic.
How very discouraging.
Thanks for your help so far...do you have any more insight? This thing is so crazy!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Is there anything plugged into it (apart from the AC adapter) ?

Check that the CD hasn't any scratches/marks/dirt on it ?

You haven't just added any new RAM into it have you ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
No other plugs are anything. Just the adaptor. No new ram either.
Here is the exact sequence of events that my room mate gave me. He said that he opened the hard drive icon...put all of the contents of it in the recycle bin...then hit the power button. The kernel panic immediatly followed this.
What about using another MAC? Someone told me that we could try booting or repairing this system by booting from another iBook or something like that? Any thoughts...?
Also...what about the PMC? TO reset that do I have to take the laptop (iBook G4...i believe 14in screen) apart?

Reaction score
Is there a place or a website that is MAC sponsored...or SOMETHING along those lines...where I could get a list of all of the key stroke commands to make the computer start in different modes. I know many of them thanks to my research over the last few days...but having a list of all of the potentials could help me greatly in my endeavor to fix this iBook. Thanks for anyone who can help.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

We have a search function ;-)

Startup keystrokes

If you have another Mac and a Firewire cable then turn the iBook off plug in the cable to both of the computers...hold down the T key and then turn on the iBook...this will make it start up in Target Disk Mode...which means that the drive should 'mount' (show up on the other Macs desktop).

When you reboot with the 'c' key held down, does the CD spin up does it sound like it's booting off the CD ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I am still in need of trying to use another MAC and trying to boot from there. Procuring one to use for such an endeavor has not exactly been a walk in the park. I'll continue to attempt to try this idea...it's more matter of acquring all the tools.
As for any other ideas. I have tried every boot technique I think there is to try. It doesn't want to boot from ANY disk...and no matter what I try I either get the blinking file w/ a face on it followed by a question mark flipping back and forth...or the kernel panic page. And when I start holding down "option" I attempt to manually boot and that fails as well...or ends in in a circle w/ a question thru it. I also tried resetting the PRAM a few times...w/ no avial at all.
Am I running out of options? Is there actually a way to fix this thing w/ out spending a TON of $$$? Or have all resources been exhausted?
Thanks again for the help so far...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

try resetiing the PMU follow the instructions carefully...and do it only once !

Then try rebooting with the Install disk whilst holding down the C key.

If that doesn't work then it may be time for a local Tec to have a look !

Getting the "Flashing Question Mark" is actually progress, thats good !

That means that the Kernel Panics are not down to a hardware problem.

The Flashing Question Mark over a Folder Icon means that the Mac (Open Firmware) can't find a startup disk !

This means that

a) there is no software on the Internal drive to boot from !
"we know this because it was thrown in the bin !"

b) The Disks you are trying are either the wrong ones/scratched or the CD drive is not working.

Do you have an External CD drive that you could plug into it ? It would need to be Firewire for it to boot, not USB !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

try resetting the PMU follow the instructions carefully...and do it only once !

Then try rebooting with the Install disk whilst holding down the C key.

If that doesn't work then it may be time for a local Tec to have a look !

Getting the "Flashing Question Mark" is actually progress, thats good !

That means that the Kernel Panics are not down to a hardware problem.

The Flashing Question Mark over a Folder Icon means that the Mac (Open Firmware) can't find a startup disk !

This means that

a) there is no software on the Internal drive to boot from !
"we know this because it was thrown in the bin !"

b) The Disks you are trying are either the wrong ones/scratched or the CD drive is not working.

Do you have an External CD drive that you could plug into it ? It would need to be Firewire for it to boot, not USB !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for all the help so far.
I believe we have the wrong disks to work w/ here. He told me when he first got the iBook that the operating was version 10.4.3 because he checked the system preferences the same day.
What he gave me when the kernal panic occured is OS X PANTER version 10.3, MAC OS X Install disks version 10.2.1, and a few other associated disks.
I would assume that in here lies the problem. I was also not aware of this detail about it being the wrong harddrive until moments ago. I didn't see the iBook or examine it's contents(i.e. the kernel panic) until it actually occured.
I would also assume that it isn't possible to boot from a lesser harddrive set up. :confused: Is it possible to do this using the firewire and the external CD drive? Like I said b4, the preexisting data on the harddrive is now irrelivant. He just wants the thing to work. Would reseeting the PMU make it possible for such a thing to occur?

Thanks again! Seriously...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Yes you are correct in your assumptions...you shouldn't really use an older OS than what was originally supplied.

This may be why the disks aren't booting it. Did the disks 'come' with the iBook ?

Can you have a look on the iBook's case and see if it gives a model number...then we can check what OS it will boot in.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
hey there!
Thanks again for all of your help thus far...i have greatly enjoyed my education in the way of iBook and MAC so far...even though I have not had any "actualy sucess"...i am a more educated person.
I haven't had access to the MAC since I left yesterday afternoon for work...but my roommate says he knows which version of the operating system runs it on...10.4.3.
I assume his next step would be to procure that operating system for himself.
For my own curiousness...If one were to reset the PMU...would it then be possible to boot from the older operating system? Based on the information you provided to me, I don't think so... b/c I assume the components were still originally fashioned for 10.4.3 and wouldnt change w/ that reset?
Thanks again...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Your education/experience should really have been better...if you had the right disks/working CD drive ? then you would have been up and running in a couple of hours.

The Mac may have had 10.4.3 on it when he bought it, but I would be very surprised if the 10.3 Panther disk (if it is a retail one) should not boot the Mac.

Are these 'proper' CD's or copies ? If they are proper CD's have you got the part number, should be on the CD ? This will enable us to see exactly what disks you have...

A PMU reset won't make any difference in it booting a older version, but it may help in 'getting' it to boot.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question