ibook G4 kernal panic - difficulty starting, turns itself off if closed if closed

Reaction score
New problem with 14" ibook OSX 10.4.11, 1.42GHz, 768 RAM.
Bought late 2005 - still plenty of memory left.
Was just going on to Safari one evening when the grey message appeared :
"You must restart hold power button" etc
Understand this is panic message.
After a day or so of unsuccessfully trying to start, not getting beyond chime, took it to local Mac repair shop. It was left turned off for a day or so. after which techie could find nothing wrong. Started it 12 times successfully.
Home again, same problem occurring. Now though usually get as far as grey screen with Apple,timer thing, sometimes gets to desktop partly loaded, then freezing (or even fully loaded) before panic message appears.
No external devices (eg scanner, printer) used recently.
Battery very low, almost completely gone, run from mains all the time.
Any ideas anyone, please ?
Unlikely to understand many tech. terms but will understand concept !!

Reaction score
New problem with 14" ibook OSX 10.4.11, 1.42GHz, 768 RAM.
Bought late 2005 - still plenty of memory left.
Was just going on to Safari one evening when the grey message appeared :
"You must restart hold power button" etc
Understand this is panic message.
After a day or so of unsuccessfully trying to start, not getting beyond chime, took it to local Mac repair shop. It was left turned off for a day or so. after which techie could find nothing wrong. Started it 12 times successfully.
Home again, same problem occurring. Now though usually get as far as grey screen with Apple,timer thing, sometimes gets to desktop partly loaded, then freezing (or even fully loaded) before panic message appears.
No external devices (eg scanner, printer) used recently.
Battery very low, almost completely gone, run from mains all the time.
Any ideas anyone, please ?
Unlikely to understand many tech. terms but will understand concept !!

Hello,
How about at home? If you leave your mac alone for a day or so, will it boot properly?

Reaction score
Hello,
How about at home? If you leave your mac alone for a day or so, will it boot properly?

Thanks for answering.

If left overnight booted after several tries sometimes.

However since I first wrote the problem has disappeared and all is working well.
Just close the lid (without the echo !) and when opened again all bright and working.
I have not actually shut down though.
Would value advice as to why it happened at all and what to do in terms of preventing the problem .
Worth adding p'raps that the Apple message begun to appear "Mac OSX quit unexpectedly , do you want to report it ". So i did . that happened about 3 or 4 times and then, magic, no more probs. i hope....

Ask a Question