ibook G4 freezing and start up problems.

Reaction score
my problems are similar to that of Frealas in the previous post, but not the same.

Randomly it starts to slow and the CPU sounds very busy. From here I know it's bad news. Eventually it locks up or takes a really really long time to open anything, even show a hidden toolbar. Eventually I turn it off via the power button. This first time this happened I restarted it a few times and eventually it started functioning properly. Now it started up again.

Troubleshooting I've done thus far: I rebooted with the c key and OS X cd to get to the installer menu. The first time I did this it wouldn't even function here! It was still locked up! The second time, it worked so I went to Disk Utility and did a repair. This seemed to fix the problem, because it finally booted up.

However, it's still acting funny and has its moments of being very slow. I have to baby it and not click too rashly. Since I've cleared alot of space on my HD. I've done a couple virus scans, deleted things I thought weren't necessary.

Luckily I have a full backup on an external drive, but I would like to save this one.

Any ideas? suggestions? insults???

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that when I did the disk repair, it was unable to repair volume 1. I imagine that's a pretty bad sign. It did, however, repair volume 2.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

do you have any other Disk repair software, such as TechTool Pro or DiskWarrior ?

If not then the only other option is to do an Erase and Install, and the load everything back on, and see how you go.

If you want feel free to email me your System Log's and I'll see if there is anything I can see.

In the Finder under the Go menu select the "Go to Folder..." and type in /var/log/ then send all the ones called system.log or system.log.gz

regards

Ric

Reaction score
im just taking a wild guess here but either something large is running on the background
or you hd is slwoly but surley demolishing it self

Reaction score
Ric: thanks for the advice. Since I last posted my computer finally died. It wouldn't boot, but it would get to the apple screen. I spent an hour on the phone with an apple tech and we tried almost everything. Luckily I have the Apple Protection plan and am sending in the computer to get it replaced.

bluekatt, I think you called it!

Reaction score
Ric: just for my personal knowledge, what exactly does a system log show? boot files? system files? both?

Ask a Question