I mac G5 running slow

Reaction score
Hi all , I have a G5 I mac running OSX 4.9 and it has started to run very slow ie start up time about 4 minutes !! It now will not start up at all and always shows the spinning globe of death I have the OSX 10.4 Tiger dvd disc and have tried re loading but it gets to a certain point and just stops dead !
Any ideas anyone before I pack it up for repair.
Cheers
Andy

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

If it is still under warranty then get it checked out...

It is hard to say without seeing it.

Are you doing an Archive and Install or have you wiped the drive ?

Any clunking sounds coming from it before it died ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
No clunking at all it just ran slow then did not want to launch at all , it is not under G/tee , a customer of mine is going to have a look to see if he can work it out at all. He seemed to think something may have been corrupted and it is as if it is looking for something it can not find ?

Ric

Reaction score
Ahh I see.

It may be that the drive is on it's way out...

Is the DVD clear fo scratches dirt etc ?

It will probably be easier for your Customer to look at it, it's easier hands on !

...and I won't be around that area today .

;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,drive is OK as I have had that checked,as have a couple of bits of software to keep an eye on that side, we think it may be something in 10.4.9, may have to do a complete wipe of the hard drive & start again ??
Thanks for your help

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have you started up from the install DVD and ran a check of Permissions & Hard Disc status using Disc Utility?

Reaction score
Yep done that and all results come back OK but have got it back to the desktop now but it still runs very slow with the spinning death globe comming up a lot, Do you think a save of all vital bits should be done then start from scratch by wiping the hard drive clean ??

Reaction score
Done all of that and when it fires up it has a slight delay before doing anything, then runs great for a bit then slow again ?? Update was done approx 3/4 weeks ago.

Reaction score
Seem to have worked it out now but still not like it used to be from memory, but at least it is running !! My man Gary verified the disc, repaired permisions,did archive & install,repaired permisions,ran the 10.4.10 combo update and then re installed Macaroni and ran that to get rid of 226Mb of unwanted stuff ( Foreign Languages) shut down & re start.
Also re zapped the pram (hold down Alt,Option,P,R and wait for the 3rd chime then let go)
Will let you all know how it goes over a period of time, fingers crossed now !!
Cheers for your help everyone.
Regards
Andy

Ask a Question