I can't download anything!

Reaction score
So I have had my Macbook Pro for a few years now, and now I can't download anything. I have plenty of room on my hard drive, but every time I use the installer (for flash, growl, really anything!) it tells me:

"You need about 13.1MB more free space on the destination volume to install the software. Quit the Installer and make more space available on the volume then start the installation again."

When I open Finder, it tells me I have 27.29 GB available, so I don't know what it wants me to do.

Here is some info about my Mac:

Mac OS X Version 10.4.11
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I'm not sure what else I need to tell you, but I would really, really appreciate any kind of help.

Sorry in advance for being such a n00b

Reaction score
It could be that you threw items in the trash but did not empty the trash. If that's the case, just empty the trash. Also, check where the "destination volume" is. It could be that the download is trying to install your new files in an external drive or USB drive or something without enough space.

Reaction score
I have everything cleared out of my trash. I've been looking through the settings on the Installer app and I can't find anything that has to do with a "destination volume." Am I missing something or could there be something else wrong? Could it have something to do with the Stuffit Expander?

Reaction score
Still needing help with this problem. Here's my step-by-step problem.

I need to download Adobe Flash Version 10 so I...

1. Go to Flash's homepage and download install_flash_player_osx_ub.dmg
2. Double-click the file and the "Install Flash Player 10 UB" drive shows up on my desktop
3. Double-click the drive and it shows me "Adobe Flash Player.pkg"
4. Double-click that and my Installer comes up.
5. I close all of my browsers and click "Continue"
6. A drop-down message shows up that said "You need about 13.1 MB more free space on the destination volume to install the software. Quit the Installer and make more space available on the volume, then start the installation again."

I have tried repairing the Disk Permissions on my Disk Utility, tried dragging the "Adobe Flash Player.pkg" out of the Installer drive and then ejecting the drive before trying to install, and just about everything else Google has turned up. I'm about at my wit's end here

Reaction score
When you install any application, one of the first screens you get to during the installation process as you begin to expand the file is the location where the file will be installed. Try to install Adobe Flash again and look at each window very carefully, in particular the one that says where the file will be installed. It's the second bullet item: Destination Select. It should default to your Mac HD, but it could be trying to install somewhere else. You can click the "Change Install Location" and select the correct drive.

Ask a Question