Hung System

Reaction score
I'm here looking for help for a friend of mine, I unfortunately don't have much detail other than the fact that
1) it's Macbook
2) it's been having issues with the kernel for a while, and has had problems with Flash plugins, high quality graphics (video games) and crashes fairly often
3) the following two pictures, after which the system no longer functions at all
brokenputer012zo6.jpg

brokenputer007pc0.jpg

I am attempting to get more information on the issue, but they obviously don't have reliable internet right now, and unfortunately no phone at the moment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Looks like kernel panic to me. Does your friend have the original installation disks? If it is kernel panic, it could be happening because of some recent additions to the system. In any case, I'd start with the original disks. Insert the disk and restart the Mac holding down the C key. The Mac will start from the DVD disk. Run Disk Utility from that disk. Repair permissions. Verify disk, too.

Reaction score
1) any changes you made before having the inital problem(s)
it was slow, I added adium scripts, deleted my WoW Cache and WTF folders, had started using MacScan (spyware thingy), changed my hard drive name and picture, scrambled something with my iPod(it was acting haywire after I had added something to it with my roommates laptop).. oh and then it crashed the same day as all that, phew... and then crashed again and again and again. Oh and I had been doing the disk utility thing often, especially that week since it was being a slow little #OOPS#head.

2) the signs that it wasn't working right (no flash sites, no WoW, if it crashed when you did certain things, etc)
no flash sites seems recent but I doubt it is since I've hardly been on my own computer since July. After it crashed the first time, I could/can not use quicktime, youtube, random sites with pictures that are really flash players, google earth (oh it crashes so fast if I open this).

4) anything that happens that isn't seen in those photos.
"You need to restart your computer" message appears
This message indicates that an error occurred in the core of the operating system, which is referred to as a kernel panic. A kernel panic can be caused by damaged or incompatible software or, in rare cases, by damaged or incompatible hardware. The most likely cause of the problem is that a system file or folder has been moved, replaced, or damaged.
If you know that you have moved or renamed a Mac OS X system file or folder, then you must reinstall Mac OS X. (It won't work to just replace the specific item.) If you are not aware of any changes to Mac OS X system files or folders, try the following procedures.
To reselect your Mac OS X startup volume:
Restart your computer. Most often the panic is an isolated event that requires no further action.
Restart your computer while holding down the X key. This may force the computer to start up using your Mac OS X system. If it does, release the X key, then open System Preferences and click Startup Disk. Make sure your Mac OS X system is selected.
If you are unable to start up using the X key, restart your computer and immediately press and hold the Option key. Release the Option key when icons start to appear in the center of the screen. Select the Mac OS X system disk, then click the forward arrow to continue starting up.
If the above attempts to reselect your Mac OS X startup volume are unsuccessful, try resetting PRAM. Shut down your computer, then turn on the computer and immediately press and hold Command-Option-P-R until you hear the startup sound for the second time. Open System Preferences, click Startup Disk, and select your Mac OS X volume.
Note: Resetting PRAM may change some system settings and preferences. Use System Preferences to restore your settings.
Open this for me
"Mac OS X: "Broken folder" icon, prohibitory sign, or kernel panic when computer starts" webpage

This is actually an ongoing problem for a few months now, it was never resolved to begin with, and it's just been worked around with safe-mode for a while. I also have the panic.log if anyone thinks that would help

Ask a Question