How to change back to a previous system

Reaction score
I was experiencing minor performance issues with the previous OS X (panther). When I reinstalled from the startup cd provided with my G5, I am now having system freezes constantly. How can I revert to my old operating system? Any Help welcomed, thank you in advance.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

What version of Panther was you on, and what version have you changed to ? (numerically...)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
First of all a big thank you Ric for your quick response to my problem. I very new at this so please be patient.
The previous version of Panther prior to switching back to the original was 10.3.9. My G5 slowed down (performance) from when I first got it from the factory. I figuered I'd go back to the original operating system (10.3.0), and now the whole system freezes completely in various ways.

Reaction score
My G5 OSX (Panther) was updated to 10.3.9. I started to experience performance problems. So I rebooted from the start up CD to reinstall OS version 10.3. Now I am experiencing crashes all the time. With OS 10.3.9 was a little slow but stable.

How do I change it back to version OS 10.3.9?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

so your'e now on 10.3.0 ?

You can download the combo updater from here.

This will update any version of 10.3 to version 10.3.9 in one go.

The instalations that you have been doing, are they archive and install ones or 'full' erase ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I do not want to update it back to 10.3.9 through a download. My question was can I revert back to the previous system I had. Like in OS 9 where you could go through the apple pulldown menu and select previous system, restart and you where able to start where you were before.

And no the instalations that I've been doing, are archive and install ones not 'full' erase.

Once again can I go back from 10.3 to 10.3.9 without having to redownload the bundle? I want to go back to where I was prior to re-installing 10.3 from the CD provided by Apple. Hope this clarifies my intensions.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I understand you now. Technically the answer is yes, but the practice is a bit harder...

When you did the first Archive and Install there would have been a System Folder called 'Previous System' on your Hard drive...technically you could swap them over yourself...but it could get very messy, and you could end up doing a full install if it goes wrong. (Backup first)

10.3.9 is/was very stable. Can you send me the System log...we can then have a look to see if we can see what is causing the crashes...

I personally, would back everything up. Then do an erase and install from 10.3.0 then download the combo updater mentioned earlier...then start readding your Apps.

The chances are that it is a third party piece of software that is not playing nice...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question