How to back up your Mac - part one

Ric

Reaction score
Firstly, you need to decide on a backup strategy.

Decide how important your data is, if there was a fire, flood or break in, at your home or office would your current backup strategy (that's if you have one !) work.

These tips are presuming you are running OS X 10.1 or higher.

The easiest way to backup, if your are a home user is to keep all your data files in one place and copy them to a CD or DVD. You should only need to copy your data files, as I presume you will have all original cd/dvd installer disks for any applications that you use.

Always keep at least two copies of the backup's, if you really can't afford to lose your work then keep three copies with one of them kept in a different building.

This strategy will generally only work, if you can fit all you data on to one cd/dvd. If you have an external hard drive you can always copy your data there.

You're probably thinking wow I knew that all already...
...good, so if disaster strikes you've got those backups...haven't you !!!

Reaction score
What about my email configuration, internet configuration? etc. Can I copy the prefferences of them to cd/dvd/iPod and when I put em back my fresh mac will they be the same? also if I copy my iTunes library should I just copy the music folder or anything else? or what about one of those programs from version tracker that lets you put your songs from iPod to iTunes that would be easier then copying all ya songs.

Could you give bullet points to stupid things people might miss when they are backing up.

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
What about my email configuration, internet configuration?
These can be backed up, but for some it is easier to make a note of certain settings so that if your Mac dies and you reload the system software then you can re-enter the correct settings.

I am not, personally in favour of "the backing up the whole drive and then if something goes wrong you just copy it all back on"

If something goes wrong I like to be able to get out the latest OS disk's and reformat the drive, reload the OS, enter my internet settings -these are nowadays the first settings I put back in - then allow the system to get and install all the updates from Apple it wants, then, when that's done I will load back on any other programs that I use - Dreamweaver, Photoshop, 4D, Filemaker, Quark, Illustrator, Flash, etc. and then I will reload my work from the backup disks.

By doing it this way you are virtually guarenteed to have a nice stable happy Mac.

Danster said:
Can I copy the prefferences of them to cd/dvd/iPod and when I put em back my fresh mac will they be the same?

Yes you can, but what if those preference files were corrupt, and what was making your system unusable ? (Have put the location of preference files in one of the tutorials, for you.)

Danster said:
also if I copy my iTunes library should I just copy the music folder or anything else?

Well, if you use iTunes and have an iPod (which we know that you do have) then do you keep the same songs in iTunes that you have on your iPod, if you do have the same on both (I know that's how my wife keeps her iPod) then technically you have a backup of your songs already. So it's up to you if you want to back them up again, presumably you have the original cd's as well, unless of course you've downloaded them from the Apple store...

Danster said:
or what about one of those programs from version tracker that lets you put your songs from iPod to iTunes that would be easier then copying all ya songs.
Yes, as before. You can just get an iPod ripper, all you need to do is make the folders on the iPod unInvisible and the you can just copy the files back over.

Danster said:
Could you give bullet points to stupid things people might miss when they are backing up.

I'm going as quick as I can...lol...have now put up parts two and three, part four onwards to follow.

Ric

Reaction score
I also meant to say, the most important thing to make a physical note of (pen and paper) is how you machine connects to the internet !

If you can get connected to the internet then any other problems that you have you can find out solutions...

This will depend entirely of course on your own machine, I will give you what guideance I can...

Whilst your machine is working now, right down those settings, before it's to late.

First thing to make a note of is the modem's setup settings, the best way to find out these is by finding the manual or letter that came with it or go on to the support site of the ISP that you are using, it will save you a costly support call later.

Also on that page, should be a few screengrabs of how to setup your Mac.

example:

If you have a Netgear ADSL/modem then have a look here Netgear support then select your product etc...

if you were with Wanadoo broadband then have a look here How to connect a Mac to Wanadoo ?

right down your info and keep it safe...at least if it all goes belly up you can re-install and get back onto the Internet...

Ask a Question