How much memory for Leopard -- and a new Mac Pro -- should I install?

Reaction score
I will be switching from my current PC setup to a Mac Pro with the two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processor (Quad-Core) option in December and I was wondering about how much memory I should have installed in my new computer so everything runs as smooth as possible.

I was going to install 8GB of memory from the start but I was considering rethinking my position and maybe going with only installing 4GB of memory.

The most "intesive" programs I am planning on running on my new Mac Pro is Dreamweaver to add content and do maintenance on my website, as well as Adobe InDesign CS3 or Quark Xpress for when I work on my various writing projects.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

The MacPro has eight ram slots so If I were you I would just stick in the 4GB, and that is more than enough.

If you put in either 4 x 1 or 2 x2 then when/if you want to add more then you have spare slots without having to throw any away.

Have you had a play with any Macs in the Apple store, an iMac would also run those apps very comfortably and a lot cheaper.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric,

Thanks for the quick reply and help! Thanks for the warm welcome, as well. I'm really geeked about my upcoming switch to Apple and Mac from being a Microsoft/PC person for pretty much all of my adult life so all the advice I get I am most appreciative of (seeing my last Apple Computer was a family Apple Mac IIe many many moons ago!).

My wife pretty much has to physically restrain me from going in to the Apple Store every week to play with the Mac Pro and 30-inch HD screen, as well as perusing the software rack to see what goodies I will be adding to my new Mac when I eventually get it. It's sort of like Wayne Campbell, in Wayne's World, when he goes into the music shop and asks to look at the guitar he salivates over, over and over again, week after week, and then eventually he buys that guitar! :D

The Mac Pro and the 30-inch Apple Cinema display is pretty much the basic configuration that I'm going to get when I finally -- and thankfully, may I add -- switch from PC to Mac. I'm going to save my custom built PC to use only for the cutting edge games coming out (like Crysis) that probably won't play as well on the Mac as a PC at this time.

I thought about the iMac option -- like you said at a much lower cost -- but I like having the flexibility of choosing a larger monitor/display and I don't mind paying the extra for that priviledge. One thing I've also learned from all my PC years is to get the most powerful machine you can get at the initial time of your purchase to afford more powerful apps and goodies that may come out down the line. This is why I've also chosen the Mac Pro so I have a powerful computer for the next few years (without having to consistently upgrade -- like I've had to do every 12 months or so in the Microsoft/PC universe).

What's saving me from bugging the fine people at the Apple Store every week is that my wife just got a 15-inch MBP for her birthday recently so I've been playing around with the Mac OS and the like so I at least get my fix for the time being until I get my bad boy in my home office.

I will probably get the 4x1 GB Memory configuration when I buy my computer at the Apple Store online so it will save me from having to go into the Mac Pro and do any initial installation of new hardware. I'm not that proficient at adding anything to computers so having all of this preinstalled and ready to go when I hit the "Power/On button" and have everything just work is just fine with me. :)

Ric

Reaction score
I can hear Stairway to heaven playing...

I'd agree that it's best to buy the best you can at the time, especially with computers.

I would suggest that you get AppleCare, all though you don't need to buy it at the time of purchase just within the first year...this then extends the warranty for an additional 2 years.

Enjoy !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Yep, I will certainly be getting the Apple Care package when I get my new desktop rig. Better safe than sorry...especially when you buy big ticket consumer electronic items!

Ask a Question