How do I view an external SATA Hard Drive?

Reaction score
I have a 13" Macbook (bought in June 2007) running OS X 10.4.11 with a 2.16 Ghz Duo processor and 1GB Ram.

Ok, so my Macbook broke down a couple of weeks ago and I took it to the Apple Store who fixed it all up for me, free of charge in fact, giving me a new SATA Hard Drive in the process. At the time they said that it was the Hard Drive that was broken and replacing it seems to have made the computer fine again, however, when I used the disk utility when it had first broken down it said the Hard Drive was fine and when they gave me back the Hard Drive they said that it there was a chance that it would still be readable, just not inside the Macbook itself.

I mentioned to them I had a SATA hard drive reader and they gave me back my old Hard Drive so that I could try and rescue a few documents that I hadn't backed up. However, when I plug in the Hard Drive to the docking station, it makes a sound as though it is being read, and it's all plugged in and connected to the computer, but nothing ever appears on the Desktop or anywhere else for that matter. The docking station came with software (on a dreaded Mini-CD so there would be no way of getting it on the Macbook anyway) which is for PC's only, although all over the box it says it's Mac compatible.

Oh, the docking station is a Unitek Sata HDD Docking Station and I've got a 2 and a half year old Macbook running Tiger (I know).

Any ideas?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

I want download a demo copy of DataRescue and see if it can see the drive...

works for me ;-)

cheers

Ric

Ask a Question