How do I restore my mac to factory condition?

Reaction score
Hey all. I just bought a mac book today. It was the display version that they had at Best Buy, so it had some passwords that I was unaware of. As I try to log back in it asks for the password which I have no clue what it is. I tried calling BB but the phone is always busy and now they are closed. I would like to bypass the password, perhaps by restarting it to factory condition. Is this possible?

Reaction score
The only disc that came with my purchase is the Mac OS Install Disc. When I try to run it a box appears that asks for the password again.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Do you want to reformat the mac? Considering it came from someone else I think that you should as you will have a fresh system to play with.

Is the disc a grey colour? It should be or it may have a large white X on a black label.

Can you insert the disc and reboot holding the C key?

The mac will boot from the disc in the drive instead of it's internal drive and you can begin the installation process. Firstly though, look for an Options button where you can select what type of installation you want. I suggest you Zero Out the HD before you install the OS. Then do a clean install. Then the previous owners footprint will have been totally wiped.

Reaction score
"Can you insert the disc and reboot holding the C key?"

That did it! Yeah the idea was to get rid of all the junk left from Best Buy and start it fresh. I really appreciate your help Spawn Dooley. I didn't think this forum would be able to help me so quickly. Thanks and happy holidays.

Ask a Question