How did my SMFs turn into EXEC files?

Reaction score
Greetings!
Newbie here. I'm running OS 10.6.2 on my Mac Mini. I'm a musician & back in the days of Mac OS 9 my main choice for music sequencing software was Opcode's Studio Vision Pro.

With SVP I could export arrangements as SMFs & import them in any other application capable of playing SMFs. This was possible even though the exported files had no "mid", "midi", or "kar" extension suffixes. The only significant change were the icons.

I stored hundreds of these SVP files as a single compressed zip file which I had backed up to a ftp folder where they remained untouched for several years until recently.

I was able to download & unzip the folder. The SMFs, that were originally exported from SVP, had all changed. Their original icons have been replaced by little grey squares that say "exec" in green letters at the top left.

I tried manually typing a ".mid" extension which somehow changed the icon to quicktime but the file was unrecognizable.

I can't seem to open them in any program.

HELP..!!???

Thanks!

Ask a Question