Home Theatre System

Reaction score
I'm currently running Linux on my main PC, and administer Windows XP machines at work. I'm considering buying a mac mini and would like to hear your thoughts.

The mac mini would go in the lounge as a home theatre system. It would need to play DVDs and be able to play Divxs from a Windows share. I'd need TV out, and ideally an infra red remote control and 5.1 surround sound. It would also need to be something that the entire house can use. Would a mac mini be good for the job, or should I stick to PCs and buy a SFF PC?

Ric

Reaction score
lordrich said:
... I'm considering buying a mac mini and would like to hear your thoughts....

Not sure if you've used a Mac, but if you wanted to have a play you could try and load pearpc and put OS X onto your PC, just to give it a whirl. (You will however need a copy (legal of course) of the OS X Software)

I must admit I keep toying with the idea of building my own 'Entertainment System'.

I currently have an Original Tivo, Sky+ Digibox, hifi, DVD player etc. and I'm not convinced yet that I can succesful 'merge' all these devices into one.

I will have to check on the specs of the Mac Mini I think you might need something with a bit more room for expansion.

Apple Website said:
The Mac mini provides big screen resolutions whether you use a DVI or VGA monitor. For digital connections, you can set your display up to a widescreen resolution of 1920 by 1200. For VGA, see up to 1920 by 1080. So you have more space to work and play.

You can use any TV with Mac mini as a display. Some newer HDTV models already sport a DVI connection, but you’ll need the optional S-Video/ Composite Video adapter to use Mac mini with regular TVs

Well the output to TV should be okay !

No problem connecting up to your windows share, easily set up. Playing Divx, DVD's etc no problem.

Sound wise, to get Surround 5.1 from the Mini then you would need a Firewave or a Transit.

As for the remote control there are various options Griffin do various ones, or may be if you have a bluetooth phone you could try this. The Keyspan Remote is probably what you are after.

Hope this helps, whether you buy a Mini is up to you...however I too for my sins use Windows (all varieties), Linux and Mac's - at the end of the day it's what you feel comfortable with. Personally I can use Windows to a high standard, but I, like most Mac user's couldn't wait to get my hands on the new version 'Tiger' to see what wonderful new toy's I had to play with, whereas when my 'Windows' computer's get a new update I am just worried about what's been broken and how many security flaws there are.

I've never had a family/friend ring me up and say "Ric, can you come and have a look at my Mac it's full of adware/spyware etc", yet I have re-installed Win XP on three Family members PC's in the last week, then marched them off to PC World to buy Anti Virus and Anti Adware software, and even when that's installed they can still be at risk.

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Well I've been told that the DVD drives aren't multi-region which was a big turn-off. The price is also quickly going up with all the additional accessories and upgrades I'd need.

I think the Kiss DP558 (http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=16657) is going to do everything I need whilst also being cheaper and easier to use. Plus it won't need any maintenence.

Ric

Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but I think you're right a PC may be better for the job that you want it to do.

The DVD drive gets set to a region after X number of plays, this can however be reset ! But non the less that isn't very good.

The Kiss looks okay but it should have a Freeview tuner surely, I wonder why they haven't put one in ?

I'll have a look to see if I can find something as an alternative to the Kiss Box.

Regards

Ric

Ask a Question