Help..!! OS X 10.4.3 doesnot recognize my USB hard drive

Reaction score
My previous laptop died. so I removed the hard drive and have been using it as external hard drive since then. It has one linux partition and two Fat32 partitions. On desktop, which runs windows XP as well as Fedora, the hard drive mounts without any problems.

However, I am unable to mount it on iBook. (I am new to Mac though). I open the disk utililty and it only shows the iBook's disk. Nothing else. I tried all combinations: reboot, connecting and disconnecting. Nothing works.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

sorry for the slow response but we've all been away on Holiday !

Have you had any joy getting it to work ? If not let us know and we'll see what we can come up with.

regards and Happy New Year

Ric

Reaction score
No, I have not been able to make it work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ric said:
Hi there and welcome !

sorry for the slow response but we've all been away on Holiday !

Have you had any joy getting it to work ? If not let us know and we'll see what we can come up with.

regards and Happy New Year

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Mac OS X should mount the drive all on it's own ?

Can I ask what type (make & model) of 'enclosure' you have put the old PC drive into, certain enclosures are not great...I have some that have older 'chipsets' that don't work as expected.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I took the internal drive out of one of my PC Laptops, (NTFS), and dropped it into a Firewire enclosure. It wouldn't mount !

After closer inspection the internal drive had the jumper pins, set to "Cable Select", this should have worked with my enclosure but didn't...

I took the jumper pins off, and left the drive as "Master", replugged it into the enclosure, mounted straight away !

So have a look at what your jumper pins are set to ?

ntfsdrive.jpg

regards

Ric

Ask a Question