help needed

Reaction score
hi . i am new to mac too. i am trying to install final cut pro 4 on my new powermac G5. it says configuration error..needthis software requires certain hardware or software missing. AGP Graphics card.
I read another post int his forum and tried to go thro the info.plist and chnanged the AGP to PCI express and saved that doc in the omni outliner .It still doesn't work.
need help.
raj

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Hi,

Which Mac are you trying to install on? Which info.plist file are you manually editing?

Ric

Reaction score
rajmac said:
...I read another post in this forum and tried to go thro the info.plist and chnanged the AGP to PCI express and saved that doc in the omni outliner .It still doesn't work.
need help.
raj

Hi there and welcome,

You can't edit the files in OmniOutliner it's not made to edit plist files...

Unfortunately if you haven't got the Developer Tools installed (it's on the Tiger DVD), then double clicking on any .plist file will open it in OmniOutliner this shouldn't happen really !!!

You need to open the file in an Application called "Property List Editor" or a text editing App...then you can search for the value...AGP and change it to PCI.

If you want email me the plist file and I will edit it for you...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
thanks for your reply. i have a power mac G5 dual..
Where do i find the property list editor? do i need to install it?
What other text editors can i use? microsoft word?
I appreciate your help. If my attempts to fix don't work I will email you (Ric) the infoplist file.

Thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

you can download the Apple Developer Tools (which includes plist editor !) from the Apple Developer Website.

You have to 'join' to be able to download 'Xcode', go to this page and click the Join button (Online Membership is free !)

Once it has downloaded and installed when you double click on a .plist it will open in Plist Editor !

Alternatively, on one of the disks that came with your Mac there will be the Developer Tools, you can install it directly from there...but this will be older than what is available on the Apple site.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thank you for trying to help me.
i tried to do it with x code but may be i am doing it incorrectly.
this is what i did
opened FTP and then opened the package contents and then it showed al lthe files including the info.plist.
then i opened the x code thruogh the finder and tried to search for AGP Iit didn't work.
Like i said I am new to Mac. Please give me step by step solution.

Raj

Ric

Reaction score
Okay...

Step by step

Go to the Applications Folder where FCP4 is:

Select it and duplicate it, we will work on a copy !

edit_FCP4001.jpg

edit_FCP4002.jpg

Now on the 'duplicated' App hold down the control key and click on it...then select 'Show Package Contents'

edit_FCP4003.jpg

This will look slightly different for yours...remember I am using FCP Express HD !!

edit_FCP4004.jpg

Open the Folder 'Contents'

edit_FCP4005.jpg

Then double click on the info.plist

If you have downloaded and installed Xcode then this should launch Property List Editor.

Now click the triangle...

edit_FCP4007.jpg

edit_FCP4008.jpg

Look for the bit that says "AGP" change that to PCI then save and quit.

edit_FCP4009.jpg

edit_FCP4010.jpg

Now close all the Finder windows, then navigate back to the FCP4 duplicate App and double click it...

If it works then you can just use that version from now on !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric :
Thanks. I did exactly as you guided me. But when I tried to open the application ( the copy ) it attempts to open and finally says 'Final cut pro quit unexpectedly. click reopen to open application again'. And i kept trying but it would show the same message. What is missing now?

Raj

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

the best I can think...remove those copies and reinstall from the original CD then do the hack again and see how it works.

Just in case anything happened to it when you were experimenting with Xcode...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question