Help! MacBook Hard Drive Issue

Reaction score
I have a black MacBook from 2007 that worked wonderfully, until...
On Monday I had the sytems update request and allowed it to install the updates and restard after. When it went to restart it could not boot up properly... flashing question mark on a folder.

I tried to boot up from the installation disk and run the first aid, but my only option under first aid was "verify disk permissions." All of the repair disk options were not available. When I tried to verify the disk permissions, I got an error message indicating that the disk is unavailable.

I tried to reinstall the OS, but the HD doesn't show up as an option. In fact there aren't any available locations to install the OS according to my computer.

Tried booting up in targeted mode while connected to another Mac (MacBook Pro from 2011) via firewire. The black MacBook booted into targeted mode fine, but the MacBook Pro could not recognize the other HD. So I couldn't run disk doctor or any other analagous program.

I've frozen the HD; I've smacked the HD (suggestions from other forums).

Luckily I had pretty decent back ups, so the data on the black MacBook isn't a big deal (although I'd like to have some of the files that were new since my last back up). But I'd like to have use of my MacBook again, rather than a really expensive paperweight. Plus, I like the color, and Apple discontinued it...

Any suggestions at all? Please help!

Reaction score
Sounds like the drive is really dead, is not that surprising form a computer that age.

You can still buy replacement drives, put a new one in and start again. I'd visit a non-Apple Apple Reseller they are more likely to have a drive that will do the job.

Ask a Question