HELP: Installing software on second internal hard drive

Reaction score
HELLO:
I need help soon Please! I added additional storage to my hard drive by installing a second internal drive as I was running out of disc space on the original one. I would like to install final cut studio on the second drive but during installation it says I can install it only on running hard drives. This beats my whole purpose of buying a new hard drive. What can I do? I can't tranfer any applications or any other programs from my original ( first ) hard drive to the second one to create space on the first one.
Rajmac
Power Mac G5 150 Gb
added 1 tb

Reaction score
How do I boot up the second drive? it is just storage space without any operating system installed on it how do I make it bootable ? Is carbon Copy clone relevant in this context?.
Raj

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

why not just install FCP on the first drive but set all the preferences in FCP to use the second drive ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
It might not be a bad idea to install an OS on the second drive along with FCS and your backups in case the first drive goes bad. I used CCC to back up the hard drive to my old eMac and it's bootable. You could also try moving your applications to the second drive. I would be surprised if you received that same error message, unless of course we're dealing with apps with installers. I have an external drive with three segments- Tiger, Leopard, and Stuff (which I use for storage, no O.S.) and I can install (drag and drop) and run apps on all of them. However, FCP requires a "running" hard drive so I would assume that the drive needs to be "booted up" (Don't quote me). Another option might be to install FCP on the first drive and copy the FCP App to the second drive. Try running the FCP App from the second drive and if it works, you should be able to delete the FCP App from the first drive. That might be worth a shot.

Reaction score
Ric, Walrus: Thanks for your help. I can definitely try and clone my first drive using CCC ( which i am new to ) and a little nervous too..Is there any problem in doing so? Any precautions that I should take?
Secondly, I cannot install FCS on my first drive because I don't have enough space on this and I am not able to free up any. I would prefer to install FCS on the first drive but it doesn't matter as long as I have functioning FCS.
Raj

Reaction score
Ric, Walrus: Thanks for your help. I can definitely try and clone my first drive using CCC ( which i am new to ) and a little nervous too..Is there any problem in doing so? Any precautions that I should take?
Secondly, I cannot install FCS on my first drive because I don't have enough space on this and I am not able to free up any. I would prefer to install FCS on the first drive but it doesn't matter as long as I have functioning FCS.
Raj

Bear in mind that if you use CCC to clone your first drive to the second drive that it will clone pretty much everything, including imperfections if any exist. This is really just a matter of preference but I would do an "Erase and Install" (Keep in mind that this option will erase everything on this hard drive) of the O.S. on the second drive then boot up from it and start adding things to it at my leisure. If you want to clone the first drive using CCC to the second drive I'd recommend that you run a good maintenance app or at least repair permissions first. Let us know how it goes. :)

Reaction score
I am nervous to do the erase and install. Really can't afford to lose anything on my first drive. How do I repair permissions? Please tell me more about maintenance application. which one would you recommend? And am I running it on the first drive or the second one and when? I have never used CCC before.

Reaction score
I kind of figured how to repair disk permissions..but what exactly will it do?
I am currently working on a film that is half done and that s why i am so nervous to do any of this stuff.

Reaction score
I am nervous to do the erase and install. Really can't afford to lose anything on my first drive. How do I repair permissions? Please tell me more about maintenance application. which one would you recommend? And am I running it on the first drive or the second one and when? I have never used CCC before.

By doing an erase and install of the O.S. on the second drive it will not erase anything on the first drive unless of course you choose the wrong drive. Of course, you'd want to run the maintenance app or repair permissions on the first drive before cloning it to the second drive. Onyx and MainMenu are two good maintenance apps.

Ask a Question