Help Help, my emac is gone completely bust

Reaction score
Hi there,
big problem: installed an application and afterwards my emac was completely frozen. I have around 5 seconds after start-up to enter an application and do something before the evil pizza starts spinning.
So I managed to enter disk utility and verify the system and it said the error message " Error: the underlying task reported failure on exit".
Now I also managed to enter disk utility again (after shutting down by force) and have started to repair permission, but it is currently taking ages. It also tells me at the bottom, that my start up volume is almost full, which it shouldn't be at all and it says that there are 97,016 files on my computer. I doubt that. I just recently freshly installed Tiger on it and and had surely 20GB space left if not more.
I am not sure how long repair will take or whether it'll work.
If it doesn't and I doubt it will, what can I do, other than simply reinstalling Tiger.
Which reminds me, on start-up I cannot even press any key combinations to start from a different disk as it just shuts down automatically.
Any ideas, how to safe my files and throw out all the damaging ones whilst the pizza is spinning???

Reaction score
Right, well the problem has been solved.
Disk Utility actually managed to repair permission and it 'only' took an hour.
However it's been solved.
So thanks to my disk utility :)

Reaction score
Good to know you solved it and thanks for letting us know :)

Simply love your description of the beach ball as the "evil spinning pizza" - had me in stitches :D

Ask a Question