help compiling..

Reaction score
Im very new to using the terminal however im a long time mac user. i am trying to compile programs, however, i cannot seem to do this. I have xcode installed. I am trying to compile ettercap 0.6.7 and it will ./configure, but when i 'make' it says:
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_GETLONG
_GETSHORT
_PUTSHORT
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ettercap] Error 1

Also, can someone elp me compile yawcu (http://sourceforge.net/projects/yawcu)? there is no file or directory when i try to 'configure.' these questions may be easy to fix, i dont know hardly anything about unix. thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

What version of OS X have you got ?

And what version of Xcode ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
I would also have a look at using Fink or Darwin ports, this may make your life a little easier.

I currently have Fink running, have a read through the documentation on their pages and let me know which way you want to go !

You would probably be better running Ethereal...

Have you looked at Kismac ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I'm using 10.4.7 on a Macbook Pro with v2.2.1 of Xcode. I am interested in protecting my wireless network, and want to try out some of the WEP password crackers and sniffers, which lead me to ettercap and yawcu. However, when i found these applications i realized i had no idea about Unix applications or its uses.
I think the problem with ettercap is that i need libpthread, however i dont know where to find this. Does anyone know? Perhaps a tutorial about compiling programs in Unix would help too? I have read about Fink, but im not sure exactly what it is or does. Thanks Ric, ive been trying to get help for a long time about these and youre the first one whos seemed to offer help.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I will give you a tutorial later tonight !

Your options are a little limited at the minute whilst all the good software, is converted to the Intel chip...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

the best way of securing your WEP network is not to have one in the first place...

WEP is very easy to crack. This is how Kismac does it !

You should if you are able have a WPA network...it's a bit tougher !

(I am in the process of doing the 'compiling' tutorial !)

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...haven't forgotten just trying to find the time.

I'll get round to it by the weekend...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I also tried to compile ettercap using the same version. My version of OS X and XCode are the same as treethousand. Do you know what that error message means? Does it have anything to do with the gcc compiler? My parents have a router with no password and I want to make sure that no one is logging into the router. I have been researching for a long time and I cannot get ettercap to work.

Also if I was going to use KisMac would I need to get a different network card? Because I tried to use it with airport card, passive but it threw an error?

-Thanks Matt

Ask a Question