Office 365 won't always open or move e-mails

Reaction score
I’m a new Mac user, after many years with a pc and iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch, it seemed to make sense. It has gone mostly well with a fairly steep learning curve. The biggest annoyance happens on both my upgraded mid 2010 Mac Pro, and my upgraded 2012 MacBook. When using Outlook 365, selecting an email to open or move, it does not always work, the email will move a little, but not open right away, sometimes it does other times not. What causes this hesitation.
Thank you, Jim

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few questions for you:
-Which version(s) of OS X/macOS on the Mac Pro and MacBook?
-Which flavor of Office 365 did you purchase - Home/Personal/Home & Student?
-Is this an issue with the Outlook application, or when logged into Office 365 via a web browser?

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your response, I have Mojave on both computers and it is the business version of Office 365. The hesitation I’m describing also happens with the apple mail program and sometimes when opening an app. It is very intermittent, but when you are in a flow of doing things, and then have to repeated click to open something it is frustrating. Thank you for any ideas.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

I have a MBP running Mojave and the Business version of Office 365 as well. Outlook is version 16.21 (190115).

If you are experiencing hesitations in multiple applications, I would guess there may be a background process happening, such as antivirus, cloud syncing, etc. It may just coincide with your actions intermittently.

Any third-party apps installed like MacKeeper, antivirus, Dropbox, Google Drive File Stream, etc.?

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory, there are multiple things going on, how would I monitor activity to see what might be causing the problem. Also, what is a good program to keep the Mac clean, is MacKeeper a good one?
Do you sync outlook 365 with your apple contacts and calendar? I’m having difficulty doing that using companion link. It worked fine when i was using a pc, now not so much.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

There is an app called Activity Monitor in Applications > Utilities. However, it can be a bit cryptic for most people. If you have third-party apps/utilities running at startup, they will be listed in  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups > your user > Login Items, and/or they may have an icon on the right side of the menu bar.

MacKeeper is NOT recommended at all, as it is known to cause many issues. You really don't need any automated application to keep your Mac clean, as it does most things on its own. A good backup on an external hard drive using Time Machine, or third-party apps like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! is a must.

I actually don't use the Outlook application. I have multiple Exchange and other accounts setup in the Internet Accounts preference pane, that sync directly into Mail/Contacts/Calendar/Notes.

Which companion link are you referring to?

C

Ask a Question