hard drive re-format ??

Reaction score
So yesterday morning my mac locked up (G5 OS panther) and I did a hard restart and several of the drives that are connected in a firewire enclosure did not show back up. This has hapened before and I use disk warrior with no problems. (I thought)

I got the directories back but not all of the data as several folders are just empty! Again, not a big deal because all of those files are neatly backed up to a server just waiting to get back onto the drives.

The problem is, that somehow the computer now sees these 300GB drives as 127 GB drives and even going through disk utility to reformat it says that it is only a 127GB drive. I have tried three firewire housings to hook up to the computer and reformatted one of the drives and it still only gives me 127GB

WHAT CAN I DO?!?!?!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

some Firewire enclosures have a bug that won't let you format >128GB...

Did you originally format these drives on that Mac ?

Does the enclosure also have USB ? What size does that report ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I did format these on the mac when I first installed them into this firewire enclosure. One of the enclosures has a usb connection. I will try it and report what I find.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

was you running Panther when you originally formatted them ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
They were formatted on this G5 running Panther. I just plugged the dirve in using a USB connection and disk utility says that it is a 127GB disk.

Ric

Reaction score
Ok, thanks !

Can I ask what type of Mac this is ?

This used to be a problem on older G4's but I haven't heard of this problem on newer Mac's, unless the chipest in the enclosure is an older Oxford version...

I shall see what I can dig up.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks so much!

This is a G5 dual 1.8

I do have a G4 800 and tried hooking the drive by the IDE connection in the case and it again came up as a 127GB drive, though I have a 250GB drive in that machine that works well.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

no problem !

When you say it 'came up' as 128Gb is this in the Finder or Disk Utility ?

What does it say under the partition map ?

partition-map.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Under the disk utility window you have posted the total capacity is 128.0GB

SMART Status is: Not Supported
Partition Scheme is Apple Partition Map

Ask a Question