Hard Drive Issues After Sleep

Reaction score
Powerbook 1.67
100GB

Today when i took my powerbook out of sleep I almost instantly got a message that there was no more space on your hard drive. Which I took as a glitch error because i knew i had about 50+ GB free. But then the system started to go into a crawl, so I ran disk untility and the disk was verified but it kept changing the amount left on the drive from 22 GB to 800mb. At this poimt I am running virus scans and looking for massive files/error logs which i found none. I then ran Activity monitor and reads in on Disk Activity was almost pinged. Disk usage was showing 24GB avail then in the next frame 0 avail. I felt like I was in a scene of poltergiest and my hard drive was possessed. So anyways I restarted my system and all seems well but this can't be a good thing. It must of been some sort of software problem but it also slowed my system down and didn't allow for me to download anything b/c the drive was suposedly full.:eek:

I am just looking for any input on this as it really scared me maybe someone else has expeienced this.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Have you by any chance got Nortons Anti Virus installed ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Rick thanks for the quick reply, no I use VirusBarrier X4 which i'm not real happy with but it works ...I think :)

Ric

Reaction score
You don't really need any AntiVirus software at the minute (this will come back to bite me one day !)...

...there are currently 'no' virus fro OS X.

Just keep an eye on Activity monitor from time to time to see if there are any Apps running that you you don't think should be.

Probably best to make sure your Backups are up to date just in case anything else happens !

What Apps were ope when the PB went to sleep ?

Presumably it would be one of those that got it's knickers in a twist ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Regarding the powerbook I would just like to say that its the most amazing machine I have ever used. I have 1 GB of memory but I pound this thing with Dreamweaver, Fireworks 4 or 5 Firefox tabs ichat, a few terminals. I work on my 20 inch apple cinema which fits perfect on my desk and have the 15" base monitor playing movies while I work. I mean c'mon that amazing stuff and it doesn't even slowdown. I love this thing so when something like this happens it scares the &$%@ out of me. The only and I mean only complaint is the battery life lets face it this system is not meant to be a usable unplugged workstation.

Sorry for the bad phone photo but I thought you might get a kick out of this ric

image_00020.jpg

Ric

Reaction score
Nice piccy !

Did you clean up first ;-)

The monitor looks nice !

regards & Happy New Year

Ric

Reaction score
hi all and a happy new year to all readers
I am begining to think this is a glitch in the new year, I also got the dreaded warning that my startup disk was almost full. My home directory recorded an amaxing 160 Gb ~I checked the files therein and the sums didn't match up. I then ran a little utility called "whatsize" available from Version TrackerThis scans the drive and places in size order the folders in that directory. Somehow after runnung this the report informed me I had 133Gb availabe space on my 250gb hard drive instead of the previous 18Gb.
The upshot being I did nothing physically to remidy the problem I just ran th utility and the error seemed to disappear. I still blame the gremlins. I hope ypu sort out your trouble3s as easily as I did mine.
Regards
Teapot

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Teapot !

thanks for that, do you have Nortons running at all ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric
I haven't used any of Nortons products since the arrival of OS X. For serious problems (which are infrequent) I use a combination of Diskwarrior (Alsoft) and TechTol Pro (Micromat). They do not recognise and fix any Viruses but I don't think There are any that affect Apple computers.
Regard
Teapot

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Teapot !

I just wondered if you were using Nortons because that can sometimes grab loads of disk space when running Anti virus scans...without people realising.

Disk Warrior and Techtool pro are in my toolbox too... ;-)

regards

Ric

Ask a Question