Hard disk not found

Reaction score
I decided to try playing around with my old Performa 475 today (mainly for testing if there were any 32 MiB sticks among my old 72-pin RAM modules), and found out that the hard disk (a 2 GiB Quantum Fireball that I bought second-hand a couple of years ago, it was working fine back then) wouldn't show up. First I got the question mark and thought that I had formatted the drive but decided not to install an OS the last time I played around with it (can't remember when that was), but I booted with a boot floppy from Mac OS 8.1 and found out that the drive wasn't found at all (it's spinning though) not even through the "mini disk utility" that's on the floppy.

I managed to replace the HDD with the 250 MiB drive I got through warranty some 10-11 years ago and boot the machine from the installed System 7.5.6 (plugged the 2 GiB one in via an external enclosure for a CD drive, still no go on getting it to show up), but I'd still like to try getting the 2 GiB back up if it's possible (not that I think there's any important data on there, but more space is always nice).

Reaction score
Hi Daydreamer
I admire your patience kicking up an old 475, that's the first Mac I had. I don't think 32mb addressing will recognise 2GB, I may be wrong , try segmenting your HD with a 500Mb partition and try to install your OS on that partition.
Regards
Teapot

Reaction score
No, it has worked before, I remember trying to install A/UX on it (boot floppy found the disk then), but giving up when I realised it needs an FPU which the MC68LC040 processor doesn't have, and then installing 8.1 instead.

Reaction score
it has been terminated correctly ?
or other scsi voodoo

it could be just dead though these things happen

Reaction score
Doh! SCSI termination, how did I forget that? But no, it still doesn't show up (desktop or disk utility) after I put the terminator on to the encasing.

Oh well, it'll be missed as one step towards an A/UX toy server (I had planned on trying to find a "full" MC68040 as well).

... now to try getting System 7 on the 'net, but that's for another story.

Reaction score
oh system 7 on the net ?
i believe this wil be a good starting point >> http://www.lowendmac.com/sable/06/0104.html
this >> http://www.lowendmac.com/sable/index.html
this >>http://www.fenestrated.net/~macman/701/
this >>http://main.system7today.com/
and this http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/71more.html wil help you out

how did you get a\ux anyway ?
and what do you plan to do with that forerunner of os x ?

and from the sound of it you know it wil only run on 040's
quadra 840av right ?
or a quadra 900 or 950

Reaction score
Um.... shady district of the Internet City? (Good place to find abandoned wares and other... deals.) Can't remember the name of the place though, sorry.

Yeah, it needs an FPU so no LC processor, and won't work on a PPC, so a MC68040, or perhaps an 030.

I've seen people (again, on the 'net) manage to replace the LC040 of the LC III-like machines with a real 040, so I figured it's be cool to have a pizza-box server from the early 90's (albeit vastly underpowered compared to the Windows 2000 powered Pentium III I use), or just as a toy.

Reaction score
well i dont even have an pre ppc macs any more i just wonderd where that dinosaur came from
the las a\ux is from 93
it is possible to replace the cpu from an lc 3 for a full 040
personally id go for a quadra because a\ux likes its ram the more the better and the lc3 has a ceilling of 36 mb
a\ux wont even come out of its box for that

good luck with getting system 7 internet worthy

Reaction score
According to the Wikipedia article on Quarda 475 (What Performa 475 redirects to) says that that machine can recognise more memory (since the Q605 and Perf475 to my knowledge shares the same logic board):
The DJMEMC memory controller used in the Quadra 605s predecessors (Quadra/Centris 610, Quadra/Centris 650 and Quadra 800) will only recognize SIMMs up to 32 MB, while the newer MEMCjr used in the Quadra 605 recognizes the larger sizes.

Oh well, I'm just doing these things for experimentation anyway, and I don't currently have any 72-pin memory sticks that are more than 16 MiB, so the 475 won't go above 20 total.

Reaction score
but an lc 3 is a crippled quadra
btw on one of those links i gave you there is alink for a utility called mt everything
maybe that wil be able to mount that 2 gig disc for you
but in all probability it is an ex hard drive

Reaction score
Thanks for the program (couldn't find it on the pages you offered, but Google's always a trustworthy friend), I'll look into it when I have more time (right now I'm a few hours overdue getting to bed).

Reaction score
any luck yet ?
and apart form a\ux there is another piece fo software id like to see in the flesh
and thats a developer release of cop and
just for novelty value

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot checking back here... so, the drive began working again... it seems the SCSI ID selector (or something concerning SCSI, at least) is messed up, the drive doesn't show up at all when it's set to 0, but shows up as 0 when it's set to anything else and connected internally, and as whatever it's set as when it's connected externally (the processor is 7, so if I only have that drive connected, 0 shouldn't conflict with anything... strange).

And since I got it running, I haven't had time for installing system 7 on a separate partition (the 8.1 that was installed before is running on one partition now).

Unfortunately I don't have Copland, I do have an Intel version of Rhapsody but it's very picky about what hardware it decides to run on.

Reaction score
ah scsi voodoo shoudl have known
maybe next time sticking needles in the hd might also work

ah rahpsody that sounds nifty too
if you are interested in bizarre
i have a pm 9600 here with nearly a gig of ram
multiple hd's
an G4 800 mhz
an orange micro pci card with a 233 mhz pentium
and it runs mac os 9.1 mac os X panther via xpostfacto
and windows 98 se

Reaction score
That's a nice setup... but you really should put system 7.5.5 on it, if the machine still supports it after the G4 upgrade, OS 9.1 and OS X on the same machine is old news :p

On another note... is there any partitioning tool for classic that doesn't require all partitions to be wiped? The HDD in the 475 is split up into two partitions now, I'm trying to make three out of them, but keeping one as it is (the current system partition), only splitting the bigger one into two (that one'll need to be wiped, of course, but I'm trying to prevent the system partition to get wiped). Doesn't much matter if the program is for 68k or PowerPC, as long as it runs on either the Performa 475 (OS 8.1) or a Performa 6200 (OS 9.1 - PPC 603e @ 75 MHz, if I'm not mistaken), as I do have the SCSI enclosure I can use to hook it up externally to the 6200, but other than those I don't have any SCSI enabled machines.

EDIT: Didn't see the other discussion you started about partitioning, I'll go check on versiontrakcer for something.

Reaction score
Okay, I backed everything I thought I might need to my server, used the Apple tools for repartitioning the drive, reinstalled OS 8.1 afterwards. Then I thought I'd install System 7.0.1 of which I still have my old floppies from when I got the machine, however, they say that "System 7.0.1 doesn't work with this model"... or something like that, it's in Swedish so I don't know exactly what it'd say in English. At least I _think_ that they're the discs I got with the machine some 12 years ago, however, they may as well be the discs that came with dad's even older Powerbook 180 (I think it was). My machine is (as I've already said) a Performa 475, anyone know which system might have come with it, if not 7.0.1... 7.1?

Reaction score
My Performa 636, also from 12 years ago came with 7.1.2... I still have it and the original 7.1.2 disks... You've been inspiring me to actually get it back up and running... it's pretty much been sitting for the last 5 years or so, but it worked just fine last time i used it... 33 MHz, 250 MB hard drive!

Reaction score
Glad someone finds inspiration in what I do :)
I decided to download 7.5.3 from Apple, since I cannot find my original discs and that's the earliest version they have that'll work. And the only one they have available for download in Swedish no less, not even the update to 7.5.5 is there... not that I'm not proficient enough in English, but anyway. (Come on Apple, what's so special about 7.1 that makes you not release it as you've done for both earlier and later versions?)

Reaction score
There, the old machine is online and playing with the big boys once again :)
Oh well, Cyberdog doesn't render pages too good, but at least it works... iCab is probably a better bet.

Attachments

• cyberdog-3.jpg
    cyberdog-3.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 375

Ask a Question