Happy switch, trying to make it happier...

Reaction score
Okay, so far my switch from a PC to a MacBook has been fairly flawless and I am very happy, however, there are a few things I really need figured out..

1) I tried installing Firefox yet it installs it as a hard drive. Whenever I restart my computer I need to reopen the .dmg file. Is there a way to permanently install Firefox as a program?

2) I like to be able to tap the touchpad to click, is there a way to do this on the MacBook?

3) It seems to be a LOT quieter than my Acer laptop was even on full volume. Is this just a quiet machine, or can I make it louder?

Thanks,
Jordan

Reaction score
Hello Shamash and welcome!

Glad to hear you are happy with your switch! Here are the answers to your questions:

First, Yes there is a way to install Firefox. When you open the Firefox Hard Drive Icon, you should see the firefox logo. Drag that logo to your applications folder. That's it! Most programs you download use that method of drag and drop in the applications folder and it's installed. After it's installed in the application folder, you can drag the FF logo from the application folder to the dock on the button of your screen so you don't have to open the applications folder all the time to access firefox.

Next, yes there is a way to touch the pad to click. Click the apple logo in the upper left hand corner and go to System Preferences. This is apple's version of Control Panel. Go to Keyboard and Mouse. Click on the Tracpad tab, and check the click checkbox. That's it. There are some other options there if you are interested in enabling.

Lastly, The MacBook is a quiet machine. I would recommend a separate speaker system. Also make sure the volume controls in iTunes and other apps are all the way up. I hope this helps you and enjoy your new computer!!

Searay

Reaction score
Wow, it's amazing how easy everything is. Just drag it to the applications folder, that's pretty sweet. Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Do you know what's even cooler? All you have to do to uninstall an application is just drag it from the applications folder to the trash bin and empty the trash!!!

Searay

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there shamash and welcome !

let us know if you have any other teething troubles, we're here to help !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Wow, it's amazing how easy everything is. Just drag it to the applications folder, that's pretty sweet. Thank you very much!

Just one little addition to the excellent suggestions, when you have dragged and dropped your installation into the applications folder, once it has transferred accross, you can then drag the "drive" icon the application came in to the trash to eject it because you do not need it anymore :)

Reaction score
Thanks all.. it's taken some getting used to (from iChat to Adium to iChat to AIM and back to iChat again), but I'm fairly content right now. Just one issue which I posted in the Application Help section!

Ask a Question