Google Adsense Tips and Help

Ric

Reaction score
Anyone else out there using Google's Adsense on their websites.

Without breaking the TOS, have you any tips that you want to share ?

What have been you best Web page subject's ?

Do you think Google Adsense works on forum based webpages?

Any hints and tips you have please let us know, thanks.

Ric

Reaction score
There are only two ad blocks used on this site :-

One set of ads comes directly below the first post in a thread.

And one set of ads is now displayed in the footer, if Googles Adsense Robot's don't understand the pages content then you should see a blank space ! Not a public service Ad !

If you have your own vBulletin forum and like where I have placed the Adverts you can replicate it by placing the Adsense code in the 'footer' template somewhere at the top.

Edit this template:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> « » -> Postbit Templates -> postbit or postbit_legacy (depending on which layout you are using)

Add this code to the very bottom of the template:

Code:
 <if condition="$post[postcount] == 1">

$spacer_open
<div style="padding:0px 0px $stylevar[cellpadding]px 0px">

<table class="tborder" cellpadding="$stylevar[cellpadding]" cellspacing="$stylevar[cellspacing]" border="0" width="100%" align="center">
<tr>
	<td class="thead" align="left">Sponsored Links</td>
</tr>
<tr>
	<td class="alt1" align="center">
		[color=red]BANNER CODE HERE[/color]
	</td>
</tr>
</table>

</div>
$spacer_close

</if>

Reaction score
I personally feel a community advert is better than a blank space - it's one of the few things Google are doing that is ethical these days...

You asked about revenue sharing. I have phpbb setup to include an extra field in the profile pages for your adsense code. Anybody who has made 5 posts to my forum can their own code. When a post is displayed, the forum checks whether the user has entered their adsense code. If they have then it's 50/50 whether their ad code will be displayed or mine. If they haven't then obviously mine will. It in theory encourages users to make useful posts and advertise the forum. I figure spending 50% of my revenue on marketing isn't too bad - especially considering I'm doing this to help people and not just to make money.

As for whether forums make much profit, who knows? Ad Moolah don't have a category for forums which isn't particularly helpful. I'm probably less likely to click on an ad in a forum because I'm usually there to help or learn - ie I have a reason to be there and I'm not just randomly surfing. Then again, the people who host forums for a living will surely be making money on them - and the more busy forums can earn huge amounts on advertising, though not always through Google Adsense.

Ric

Reaction score
Yes, I understand what you're saying about the community adverts and I have a few lined up to replace 'blank space' if there is any.

I was intrigued by your 'revenue sharing', does it not break the TOS? and if not would it not encourage members to click on the adverts...Obviously I get that's the idea - but won't the click through rate go a bit mad - google then boots you off?

Thanks for the link to Ad Moolah, looks quite interesting. From what little I know about Adsense, I have been led to believe that 'forums' generally don't do that well, revenue wise.

Reaction score
Revenue sharing doesn't directly break the TOS. It may encourage people to click on the adverts a little more than usual, but I'm not directly encouraging people to do so. Google will warn anybody who is breaking their terms before they ban you, at which point I would stop and rethink how to share my earnings with the people who deserve it - the posters to the site.

Ric

Reaction score
I have heard about someone else doing this, I will have to find the link and see how they got on with it !

I'm just hoping that at some point my 'hobby' websites may pay for themselves, via the ads !

I have some other websites, that I think will do better, they get better keywords...

Do you have multiple Adsense accounts ? I've heard that you can do this now, then if for some reason you got 'kicked' it would only affect that one site !

Reaction score
Well as I say, I don't think I am going to get kicked. Plus if you use one account for all your websites you reach the payment limit sooner and are more likely to get paid.

Ric

Reaction score
Found the site I was thinking of, http://forums.digitalpoint.com/

they have an AdSense revenue sharing scheme going looks quite impressive, over 5000 members once you have reached 50 posts your AdSense code has a 50/50 chance of displaying on any post that you start or respond to...So the insentive is to post, and hopefully because everyone their is 'AdSense' aware - they will all presumably be clicking the odd Ad !!!

Ask a Question