Go

Reaction score
Re: ???

It's gone awfully quite hasn't it? you'd better crack another joke out cory ;)

Ric

Reaction score

Sorry about that, had to go and earn some pennies...

Have been playing with my new toy...iPAQ 4700.

Free internet anywhere..."warwalking!"

I think I'm going to have to do a bit of consultancy work, and educate people on how to secure their networks.

To the paper shop (walking) and back, 500yds each way, 12 AP's - 9 unsecure.

Server also went dark this morning, lost my IP address, back to normal now, still waiting speed bump !

Ric

Reaction score

Vacation due soon, off to Disney Land, Paris.

Having a drive down to the coast, I fancy going through the channel tunnel 25/6 miles under the sea, freaky.

Quick drive down to Paris for a few days. Thought my son, would like to meet Micky Mouse, he's a bit young yet for flying so Florida will have to wait a few years...Not going for a few weeks but I will let you know. LOL

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
There you are...

Hope all has been well for you. Been busy myself.

Enjoy the trip to Paris.

Cory

P.S. A new joke will be posted...go look for it!

Ric

Reaction score

Will post a pic of my new iPaq, even though it's windows... it is really cool. (Wish they'd carried on with the Newtons when they had the chance !

Seeing this website on it is really weird !!

Reaction score

Walking w* tinternet in your hand...how cool

Is there a PDA with osx on it? that would be cool :)

Hope you have a great time in Paris, just beware of those Frencheys :D

Ric

Reaction score

I haven't heard of a PDA with OSX on it, but I do know that some people have put Linux onto PDA's. Linux is very similar to OSX/Unix so who knows !

I tried to get hold of a PDA with Linux on it the only one I knew of was a sharp one, but couldn;t get hold of one in time.

Danster: sat in Starbucks - central Manchester today, nice coffee surfing on my PDA, not using their pay Hot spot - four different networks nearby that were giving out free access...

Reaction score

So your from Manchester eh.. that's close to where I'm from :)

Would it be possible for me *when i get my laptop* surf the internet 7miles from my house?
I.E town centre (coffee shop). I'v heard of people doing this (on that wintel advert) but don't know how it would work. i mean how can you get your phone signal?

Ric

Reaction score

Not to be picky, I live in Manchester, I am from Robin Hood's home town...

I'll give you some tip's about getting you're laptop surfing the internet at that coffee shop tomorrow.

Eyes shutting - not getting any younger - baby boy, need sleep - work tomorrow...

Ric

Reaction score

Danster:

7 miles is quite a long way for you to hook up to your own network !

A wireless network comprises of a Base Station or Access Point commonly referrred to as an AP, this sends out signals;like a radio transmitter.

You also require a receiver/transmitter to pick up and send signals back to the Base Station.

If you buy an iBook or a Powerbook thes will come with an Airport card which currently runs 802.11g and the older b protocol. The current unmodified range of 802.11g is around 50 to 100 foot depending on the local conditions.

You can however buy a 802.11 pre-N card and AP which will extend the range of 802.11g by about 8 x's, it will also be about 6 x's faster.

That still only gives you about 400 feet to a maximum of around 1200 feet, which is not bad. If you lived on the top of a hill you'd get even further !

802.16 is rumoured to be able to give around 20 to 30 kilometers range. But I have not heard much about it recently. Again that would be a new card and AP.

Another way of extending the range would be to have a play around with the types of Aerial's being used. Have a search for "Pringles can antenna". A cheap, directional antenna. If you rip your newly bought AP to bits, or if you have an external aerial connector then you can make or buy your own aerial and stick it up in your loft to extend your coverage. You could also add a wirless extender / booster, this can give you upto 50 miles coverage - not sure on the legal aspects/license for this !!

Have not tried most of the above myself. I wonder how well that big extender would work?

Anyhoo, you're not going to get your 7 mile link up without a lot of hassle/expense...

...but wait, there may be another way...will post FAQ in Airport Forum !

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I live approximately 37 km south of Manchester...

Manchester, New Hampshire that is!

:D

Reaction score

Is your Mank-chester over populated with Skin heads in La-coste/shell suits?

Because it bloody is ere in L'pool an m'chester ! :mad: