Go

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ric,

What kind of server is hosting this forum? It's really slow for me to access and move around in most of the time. I understand you are in the UK, correct? Could be the pipe from your side of the pond to mine maybe?

I have a 6000/768 cable connection, so I know it's not on my end.

Just curious,

Cory

Reaction score
Re: Speed of Forums

I live in the UK and it does seem a tad slow to load pages up especialy replys.

Ric

Reaction score

This website is currently hosted on a PowerBook G3, sat in my Kitchen...

...the PowerBook is more than adequate to host this site, it is unfortunately my connection at this end.

Bandwidth is due to be updated, anytime now, from a measly 512k to a 2mbs connection, still not great, but should be better.

If that doesn't help then I may have to look at hosting it somewhere else, $£$£$£.

There are six other websites currently hosted on this Mac but very, very low usage.

Speed should hopefully be here soon...If it is really bad you can turn of viewing peoples sigs and avatars for the time being, in your userCP.

Please bear with us !

Ric

Reaction score

hmm I don't think it's that bad i mean it's roughly 3 seconds later than the usual websites to load up, and it's worth it I reckon :)

Ric

Reaction score

Thanks, I will let you know when I get the speed bump !

I will look into hosting packages, I just like having the server physically at home, I find it easier for tinkering with !

Plus, I like the fact that this is a Mac Forum and it's hosted on a Mac, running OS X Server !

I don't think many, so called "Mac Forums" are even hosted on Mac's !!

My 2 cent's...think different !

I will try and tweak a few things this end to try and make things a bit quicker in the interim !

Ric

Reaction score

Danster: Have enabled quick replies, you'll have to let me know if this helps any?

Just click the little page/arrow icon next to the "quote" button.

Then you can type away...seems quite quick for me !

...but then again I'm only 40ft away from the server, connected @ 100mbs, LOL.

Regards

Ric

Reaction score

Yeah I usually use quick replies but when i want to add pictures format text etc. I have to use
post reply :) But I agree with you in that most mac related site are hosted by M$ related servers and think it's very cool that you have your own Mac server :D

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
In that scenario, it's actually pretty good! I have a Clamshell iBook running OS X Server, not a bad little portable server.

No worries, just figured I would look into it.

Cory

Ric

Reaction score

Danster:

I think you should be able to go into your userCP and change the prefs for quick reply, so that it gives you, all of those functions !

Ric

Ric

Reaction score

Danster:

Ignore previous post, you can't change it in userCP. I have to do it globally. But this would then slow down the speed of thread views, which is what I'm trying to speed up !

I will enable it when I get my speed bump.

Ric

Ric

Reaction score

Cory:

I'll have to see how we get on once the upgrade is done, no fixed date yet !

If there's no improvement on speed, I'll have a look at some alternatives.

Ric

Ric

Reaction score

I thought the speed bump had kicked in this morning, but alas no. IP address had changed so I presumed ISP had been doing update, no speed bump yet though.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ric,

You mentioned the upcoming speed bump...512K to 2MB. Is that up and down? What is the current connection you have here again? DSL, cable, etc?

Cory

Ric

Reaction score

Hi Cory, currrently 512k DSL----> upgrading to 2mbs DSL, unfortunately it is not both ways...

...will still be looking at hosting else where, just have a few other priorities at the minute.

Speed bump is free, so I am waiting for it , just to see if there is any improvement.

I think you get about 256k...not great really !

Can slow down a bit, depending what I'm doing at this end !!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Probably won't help...since the 2Mbps is down from the Internet to you, not up to the Internet like your server. Usually (in the US anyway), a 2Mbps DSL line has a 384Kbps or 512Kbps upload. My 6Mbps down cable connection has 768Kbps upload. You might get an upload boost to 256Kbps (128Kbps up right now, right?), but I am not sure. If not, the speed here will remain the same.

Cory

Ric

Reaction score

Just being a cheapskate really, as soon as I have finished a few of my other ongoing (paid) projects I will sort out the speed !

...should be a 512kbs upload - double what it currently is !

Still won't be great, but it's free !!!

Probably will go down the hosting route unless I can find a reasonable SDSL service in the UK.

Is that your connection for you hosting company ?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ric said:
Is that your connection for you hosting company ?
Here's the scoop:

My Home: Cable HSI - 6Mbps down / 768Kbps up

Colo Hosting: 100baseTX Ethernet drop - speed test averages are: 8Mbps up/down

C

Ric

Reaction score

No still waiting...everyone must have gone to bed early last night and freed up the pipes...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Well, it's still quicker...somewhere between me and you there must have been some form of equipment upgrade.

C