Go

Ric

Reaction score
Re: Apple Switching to Intel

Thanks for the info Cory.

Had heard lots of rumours, but hadn't checked it out.

Hmmm...I will ponder it for a while before jumping in with both feet,LOL.

Reminds me of the Pre PowerPC days when we had to 'throw' out all our old software to get the 'native' versions...ditto OS X...now Intel...the money we've spent !

For anyone that missed this thread, some of us have OS X already runing on Intel..., is Mr Jobs a secret member.

I will go and form a proper opinion, my gut reaction is, that "think different" seems to have gone out of the window...let's follow the masses.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am not sure how to take this either...

First Reaction: :eek:
Second Reaction: :mad:

Now: :confused:

I feel as you do Ric...I need to let this all sink in, gather a little more recon, anazlyze the situation, then form an opinion when all the dust settles.

Folks are already going off the deep end...everyone needs to remember one thing - Apple has been around for almost thirty years. The nay-sayers have had them dead so many times. Give it a spell and see where it's truly going.

C

Reaction score

Maybe they had a bust up with IBM ?

I'v head Apple and Apple fanatics talk about how inferior the Pentium is to the PPC now they're gonna start using it hmm.

Mnyone remember that video the Mhz myth where Apple hosted a stand and went on about how clock speed means nothing and the power of the G4 was really superior to the overclocked Pentium but maybe apple will co-develop a chip like they did with IBM.

I think I need some time to think about it

Ric

Reaction score

Just to clarify for anyone out there who doesn't understand what this means to us Mac heads...

Apple computers are based on the PowerPC instruction set. Intel's chips however, use the x86 instruction set.

Software written for one instruction set doesn't run on the other, without a software emulator, emulators slow performance dramatically.

Apple's switch to using x86 chips means that all the software currently written for the PowerPC chip wil have to be ported to a version of Mac OS based on the x86 instruction set.

Apple has already taken steps in the direction of x86 chips. An x86 version of Darwin, a collection of Unix-based code that provides the foundation of the Mac OS X operating system, can be downloaded from Apple's site.

I can't think of any reason for doing this apart from, that Apple may feel that the PowerPC chip has come to the end of the road...

I don't beleive they could put the G5 chip into the Powerbooks (to much heat, power required), but Intel have various options that would power the next line of Powerbooks !

So my next Powerbook may have a Intel Pentium M processor !

I have one of those already (admitedly it's not made by Apple for OS X) and I am not overly Impressed !

Theoretically this would mean that Mac OS X could run on any PC, using x86 chipset ?

From a personal point of view I am annoyed: as I had just about convinced myself to buy an iMac for the kitchen and a new laptop for me.

Now if I go out and buy them, they are old before I even get them, at least the price should drop a bit, LOL.

Well I hope Mr Jobs knows what he's doing, remember the clones anyone ? I had a few Umax clones !*@£$.

What really annoys me is the Intel adverts on telly...now I've got to learn to like them !!!!

Plus there's going to be those stupid "Intel Inside" stickers on my Mac's, the first thing I do on any PC's I have is peel them all off !!!

Not a happy bunny, but I'll learn to live with it; in time. :mad:

I've always liked to 'Think Different"... :mad: and be different !!!

Ric

Reaction score

You can blame me if you want, Mr Jobs must of heard that his favourite website
(www.mac-help.com) moved from a PowerPC chip to an Intel chip last month...spooky !

Ric

Reaction score

Apple may be going after Microsoft....iTunes...iPod...have made inroads into the world of the PC, so I can only presume that at some point you will be able to go in your local PC World (UK), and buy a HP, Compaq box and choose whether it comes with WinXP or OS X on it.

Who knows ?

Ric

Reaction score

Well, have just finished watching Mr Jobs keynote speech, (I'd forgotten about the Intel bunny burning man....), I found it very entertaining and very informative,

As Mr Jobs say's right at the end "the soul of a Mac is the Operating System"...

...I must say I quite agree. As long as I can remove the Intel stickers, I will happily play along !

Just should have enough time by the sound of it to learn Tiger before Leopard pops out !

Craft b@£$@£@ having OS X 10.x onwards already ported and running on an Intel chip...

Reaction score

After watching the WWDC and listening to apple talk about how the future PPC doesn't compare to the future of the Pentium I have a few questions.

Will apple be using the Pentium 4? Because I was under the impression that the G5 is much better and it's only that future Wintel chips will outclass the PPC.

Jobs told everyone that OSX can work on the x86 architecture. So does that mean that people all over can boot any version of OSX on their Dell boxes?

If apple do put P4 chips in their Macs, will I still be able to buy a G5?

The powerMac P4 *shudders*

I still need more convincing :(

Ric

Reaction score

I can't see Apple putting the P4 in the new Mac's, as you rightly say D, the G5 easily beats the P4 hands down. I can only presume that they wil 'launch' a new Pentium '5' at the same time ??

As for the x86 architecture, I would imagine that Apple would want to somehow make OS X only run on their "Intel" chips, but if they did that, I think it would be a bad commercial idea !

If they want to be a 'player' and take OS X to the Wintel market then it would need to work on any 'beige box' that you can buy from PC World...which may put a dent in their hardware sales (but I doubt it), but imagine the market for their software, OS X being sold as an alternative to XP, when Joe Public goes and buys their "beige" box, they can have a choice !!!!

...as for the PowerPC, Stevie said that there was still interesting things to come ?!@

So I can only presume that they have a few more speed bumps to do to the G5, before they start using the Intel's...

Reaction score

I know I am late in the day for a post on this thread.
I did some comparative tests last year as follows..
Blackmagic Decklink Extreme capture card hooked up to a Sony Digibeta via SDI.
Tried it on the PCI slot dual G5 2Ghz and about 2gig memory no problems captured uncompressed video in to final cut Pro without any glitches..still doing it a year later!!
Tried same Decklink card on dual P4 system with again 2 gig memory and it was hopeless. Windows machine kept freezing and pretty useless. Am about to buy another G5 with PCI express so it will work even better with Decklink extreme system. You can always wait for the next best thing around the corner but for now in video or that matter audio with Protools the Mac G5 is the computer of choice!!

Ric

Reaction score

I keep having a sideways glance at the new Quad G5...just not sure how to get it in the house without the Wife seeing it... ;-) It would cost me an awful lot of new shoes for her !!!

regards

Ric

Reaction score

Well if it runs on any intel computer People might put it on their crap computer and then think"mac osX sucks!" But their computer cant handle it and they are stupid.
It might make people (really newb people who dont know anything) think Mac sucks but Its just their budget or old pc! Plus apple would have to make it really all compatible with evrything! Even if apple is switching to intel they might want to put the same sound card and know what the computer will be to help them design software better!
I hope it dosent work on pcs without a little hacking(which the place that sells computers cant really do.)

Ric

Reaction score

I wouldn't worry about it !

Apple, for those very reasons, have stated that they will not allow OS X on anything other than Mac's !

Like you say it probably will end up on other Intel PC's with a bit of hacking !

Have you seen the picture above ;-) link in post 2 ?

regards

Ric