G4 / Monitor signal problem?

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm new here and to the Mac world in general. I used Macs for graphics in school, but never owned one until now.

I've got a G4 with OS 9.2 on it.

I just moved and finally got a chance to hook it up. I got a new monitor for it to replace the old CRT monitor. It's a Samsung LCD monitor. Here's the problem:

I power on the G4 and the screen shows it starting. It shows the mac icon and the puzzle-shaped icons appear one by one. Just as it's beginning to show the desktop background, the signal to the monitor goes out and it searches back and forth from digital to analog.

I tried a different monitor (even though this new one is brand new out of the box). I tried a different cord. It does the same thing every time no matter what I do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-josh

Reaction score
Does it work with the old CRT monitor? It sounds like there is some compatibility issue between the monitor and OS 9.2 or your Mac hardware. I'm not sure. Check the specs for your LCD monitor. See what the minimum OS requirements are.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I'll have to go pick up the CRT monitor to test it out.

It's just weird that I can see it starting up just fine and that it goes black once the desktop background loads.

Also, I looked through the LCD monitor papers, which there were not many of them, and couldn't find anything that says it had to be a certain OS.

Ask a Question