G4 don't start

Reaction score
this G4 is running 9.2 I tryed to install OS X but don't work pressing C, I changed the startup disk central pannel to the location of the OS X cd, but I think I clik a wrong one, and now does not start at all give a broken folder icon, how can I fix it, I tryed to start from the original cd pressing C, but not luck, please any body help. thanks in advance.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I presume you were trying to reboot with the OS X DVD. Is it the retail version you have ? What does it say on the disk ?

Try restarting again holding down the C key...sometimes it can take a few goes.

If not try resetting the PRAM...

Hold down Command-Option-P-R

Wait till you here the startup chime twice then let go of the keys and see if it boots...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
thanks Ric, no luck , the CD is a copy of OS X a friend copied for me, one of the first ones, the G4 was running 9.2, how can I start from 9.2 I did not install os X yet, I tryed but wont work pressing c, I change the startup to start from the c drive but I think I click a wrong entrie, and that is what all the problem begins, is giving me a broken folder, when I rebot pressing option starts from HD with an X in the icon then I click the arrow and takes me to the broken folder one more time, please help

Ric

Reaction score
Ok, the CD may not work on your Mac.

Some OS X Cd's DVD's are for specific machines only.

...this is karma for using 'pirate' cd's ;-)

Does the Mac not boot at all from your original OS 9 disks ?

Try holding down command + option + shift + delete when booting with the CD in...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
thanks Ric, don't work it don't boot from the original OS 9 still giving me the broken folder, it was working fine till I decided to change the startup disk control pannel, is any other way to startup? thanks.

Ric

Reaction score
Did you reset the PRAM ?

That normally cures this ...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
thanks Ric, I played booting pressing "c" with OS 9 in, and after a cuple of tries I got it, I changed the start disk to OS 9.2 and after all this I installed OS X, is working fine with my graphic applications working on classic. thanks for your time.

Reaction score
apart from it maybe beinga wonky pirate cd ( wont be surprised )
what exactly did you mean by one of the first os x version ?
is it cheetah or puma ( ie 10.0 or 10.1 )
if so ditch it those are notoriously finicky and hard to get anything from
apart from frustration

get jaguar (10.2) at least

Ric

Reaction score
mariocesar said:
thanks Ric, I played booting pressing "c" with OS 9 in, and after a cuple of tries I got it, I changed the start disk to OS 9.2 and after all this I installed OS X, is working fine with my graphic applications working on classic. thanks for your time.

Glad you got it working...

...it sometimes takes a few goes !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks bluekatt for your concern, but this is a OS X Panther Version 10.3 and is running OK with classic OS 9 running my graphic apoplications is a great change.

Ask a Question