fried hard drive powerbook g4

Reaction score
hello my dear knowlegeable comrads! i`ll spare you the cursing, but have one of those sob stories about fried hard drives, and as a someone who merely uses these nifty machines without interest or ambition to figure out how they really work i need some help or at least sound advice.

ahem: my little 12 " powerbook g4 has worked flawlessly until it stopped working alltogether. it got stuck on the little rainbow spinny thing, so i restarted the computer to end up with the bluescreen with the flashing question mark. restarting from the osx disk the system profiler cannot find a hard drive. it was somekind of toshiba with a mere 40 gig. i`m assuming that means it is fried, which i assume means that two years of travel photography is largely lost along with all the cool software i ha(d) (ve) ¿? i have been traveling and painting in mexico for over two years and have no timely plans of returning to the states. to see my work check out markharmon.org
which means that finding parts or qualified help will not be easy, possible, but not easy.

what to do? buy a new hard drive?, which kind...

Reaction score
hello my dear knowlegeable comrads! i`ll spare you the cursing, but have one of those sob stories about fried hard drives, and as a someone who merely uses these nifty machines without interest or ambition to figure out how they really work i need some help or at least sound advice.

ahem: my little 12 " powerbook g4 has worked flawlessly until it stopped working alltogether. it got stuck on the little rainbow spinny thing, so i restarted the computer to end up with the bluescreen with the flashing question mark. restarting from the osx disk the system profiler cannot find a hard drive. it was somekind of toshiba with a mere 40 gig. i`m assuming that means it is fried, which i assume means that two years of travel photography is largely lost along with all the cool software i ha(d) (ve) ¿? i have been traveling and painting in mexico for over two years and have no timely plans of returning to the states. to see my work check out markharmon.org
which means that finding parts or qualified help will not be easy, possible, but not easy.

what to do? buy a new hard drive?, which kind...
Before purchasing a new hard drive, I recommend trying to recover your data from the old hard drive first. Have you tried using Disc Warrior?
http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

Ask a Question