Firewall for Panther 10.3.9

Reaction score
Help needed please.....

Running a G5 with OS 10.3.9 and I have been reliably informed that there is a software firewall which I haven't been able to find, I'd like to find out more about it and install it ( if it's ok).

Reaction score
Do you mean Panther's 'built in' firewall?

If so.

You can gain access to it and adjust the settings by opening up your system preferences and simply click the sharing button.

From there click the firewall tab and your a shoo-in :D

Best to turn it on asap as Panthers firewall is turned off by default.

Reaction score
Have looked where you said, great very easy to find but..........

Not sure which ones to check or not check?

More help please

Thanks

Ric

Reaction score
In Panther go to the System prefs pane and click the sharing button---->then click the Firewall button in the middle---->then press start...all as the pic's below !

Then close the system prefs pane and restart, just to make sure the settings have 'stuck', on reboot check that it is how you changed it...ie go back and have a look if it is still set correctly

This effectively blocks any incoming connections to your Mac ! You are now nice and safe.

That's it job done

Regards

Ric

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 559
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 741
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 647

Ric

Reaction score
Don't 'check' any of the Allow boxes !!!!

Just click start as instructed above ! If you click on any of the Allow buttons they effectively create 'holes' in your firewall to allow certain software/services to work !

The only service, you are currently using is iChat but we will test that once the firewall is on !

You shouldn't have any of the 'Allow' buttons ticked, at some point next week when I have more time I will (to be pre-arranged with you) do a quick "Attack" of your system just to check new Modem/Firewall etc is working okay !

Don't worry I won't do any harm, honest !!!!

Well if you can't trust your Brother, who can you trust....

Ric

Ask a Question