firelite problem

Reaction score
PowerBook G4

The Firelite external drive comes with a USB cable and an additional power cable that is designed though for connection with the keyboard jack of a PC - which the G4 does not have. This leaves me with only the USB cable for both data transfer and powering (something possible with an IBM laptop).
I can not get, though, enough power from the USB connnection of the G4 to get the device working; and thus I "kidnap" the power cable of another device which I have and seems to fit.

Any suggestions on how to get power to the Firelite from the G4 USB port?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

what model is the drive ? Does it have a 'Firewire port' ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the effort.
The Firelite Drive is a FireLite Portable Plug & Play 40G Drive. The exact model no is #USBFLB40-C.
I do not understand what a "Firewire port" is. It has 2 cable jacks in the back; one for the USB connection and the other for a power connection (accompanied with a cable that gets power from the keyboard/mouse jack of a PC. It has also a EXT/USB switch to use, according to the power source.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

you could do with the Firewire version, this would then be able to get power from your Mac.

I think you're stuck. As far as I can see the PowerBook doesn't give enough power through it's USB sockets to power that drive, sorry.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question