Finder has crashed ... please HELP!!!

Reaction score

Dear Experts...

I'll try and describe my problem as good as I can but I'm sorry if my english is a little poor!

First og all my specs:

I'm running a 4 month old MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.4.10

Suddenly last night my Finder started to turn on and off all the time (the interval is approximately 5 seconds) and all the folders incl. the Hardisk-icon disappeared from my desktop.

I've tried to restart a dozen of times and the problem is still there.

At one time Finder stopped "restarting" over and over again and I had a chance to go to my application folder and run the disktools. When I run "control disk" it comes with an error I'll try to translate:

Error: The assignment hereunder reported an error

1 HFS-unit controlled
Units has to be repaired

But Disktools wouldn't let me click "repair disk"

I've tried to open with shift down, and I've also tried to restart in consol-mode (apple-S) and run a fsck -fy. This says that: "System HD seems to be okay"

I've also tried to run the disktools in OnyX ... this also says that disks are okay.

I can see on this Forum, that I'm not the first to encounter this problem and they've been recommended to remove the
com.apple.Finder.plist-file. I've tried this to without any luck...!

I've furthermore just found out that if i close the screen down, so the Mac goes to sleep (don't know if that's the correct term) and I open the screen again, then 1 out of 3 times this makes Finder stop restarting all the time ... this is really strange!!!

I'm running out of ideas
mad.gif

What shall I do???

By the way I'm in France for the next two months and I haven't brought my installation-disk, so I can't use that.

Please, please, please help me...!!!

Reaction score
Please use the installation disk that came with your Mac. Boot from that disk. Then you'll be able to run Disk Utility from that disk. Please run "repair disk permissions" and also "verify disk."

Ask a Question