FileMaker 7 scripting/calculation

Reaction score
We use FileMaker 7 for everything at our office and we're always trying to make it do more. What we are currently trying to make it do is this: When specific values from a value list are chosen we want it to automatically change from the current layout to another specified layout.

I have a script created in FileMaker that does just that attached to a button right now, but what I'd like is for it to trigger the script when the specific values are chosen. I've set up a field that is a calculation so that when any of the specific values are chosen that field says "yes" and it is otherwise blank.

So, here's the proposed workflow: entering article information in the "Data Entry" layout (we're a monthly publication for Harley-Davidson enthisiasts), if the article type is a review (book review, product review, etc.), it automatically goes to the "Reviews" layout for additional data input, click a button there to get back to "Data Entry" and continue with the standard data. It needs to be automatic or it will not be used regularly, we need to collect the additional data on reviews. If it's not automatic our staff will "forget" to do the new process (be lazy about it is a more appropriate description, but we can't fix the people with a script, just the software).

Thanks.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I haven't got Filemaker on my Mac at the minute I'll have to dig out a copy...

I understand what you mean...but without Filemaker in front of me...I can't think of the best way to do it...

As soon as I dig out a copy of FM I'll have a look...unless someone else would like to jump in first...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks, I await your response... Of course it would be simplest if the dang users could follow simple directions, but since they can't I've got to "user-proof" the system as best I can...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been just re-reading your initial question...

I don't think that you can do this...would you not end up in a loop ?

If you have a Script that goes to the 'review layout' if certain values are met...then when the user presses the 'return' button to go back to the main layout...the Script would send them straight back to the review layout...because the 'conditions' are still met.

...if you see what I mean ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
perhaps if the "return" button was scripted to mark a "done" checkbox that would then disqualify it, resulting in no loop?

Ric

Reaction score
Hmmm, yes maybe.

I'm still working blind at the minute, just checking through some of the posts.

I shall have to download a copy of FileMaker 8 demo and give it a whirl...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

apologies...it's amazing how real life can interrupt my 'virtual one' ;-)

It shall be my next job !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
How I know !

Have downloaded FM trial all 213MB and will refresh my braincells of all things FM over the next 24 hours...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...it is currently being worked on !

filemakerTest.jpg

Will have a solution tonight !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question