File Vault?

D

dick

Greetings!

I have replaced my stolen G4 with a MacBook Pro (10.4.6) and have been planning on using File Vault but I have seen a number of negative comments re: fVault on Apple Discussion Groups. Any hints, warnings, experiences, or raves would be appreciated.

While looking fVault over, I have become puzzled by the references to ‘home folder’. Where do I find the ‘home folder’? Is it created duing the ‘File Vault’ set-up?

Thanks,
dick

Reaction score
dick said:
Greetings!

I have replaced my stolen G4 with a MacBook Pro (10.4.6) and have been planning on using File Vault but I have seen a number of negative comments re: fVault on Apple Discussion Groups. Any hints, warnings, experiences, or raves would be appreciated.

While looking fVault over, I have become puzzled by the references to ‘home folder’. Where do I find the ‘home folder’? Is it created duing the ‘File Vault’ set-up?

Thanks,
dick

Your home folder is inside the user folder and looks like a picture of a house. The only risk I've heard about using file vault is that some disk maintainance utilities mistake the file vault file for a cache file and delete it, thus deleting everything in your home directory (documents, music, movies, etc.), so you just have to use caution if you use those utilities.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 421

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Filevault can mess with quite a few bits...Automator for one doesn't really like it.

On a side note, I remember seeing a "Homing Pigeon" Script...I'll have to find it...

You install it on your Mac and if certain things aren't 'done' when it's booted it sends out the current IP address over the Internet to you.

Then once you have the IP address it may help recover your stolen laptop...maybe something for your new one.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your stolen computer :( Some people out there are just flat out rude. If you want some protection, check out this site: http://www.pcphonehome.com/ I have used this software with my *cough*Dell*cough* and it worked great. There is a MAC version of the software on the same site. There are some pros and cons to the software, but check it out and see if it meets your needs. I would also do some research from third party sources. Shop around and see what suites you best. Best of luck to you with your NEW computer ;)

Searay345

D

dick

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to do a 30-day trail with MacPhoneHome to check it out. Thanks again.

Ask a Question