file type query??

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well I recently got a Digital Video camera for a gift, (nothing great just for making videos while snowboarding, so didn't want anything expensive incase it got damaged). Was told it was Apple compatible by several sales associates, but came to find out that it is not. The software isn't at least. I can plug the camera in and pull the still photos off of it and load songs on and of it (doubles as an MP3 player) but I when I go to rip the videos off and play them none of my players will recognize the format. they come out as .asf formats and WM player, quicktime, or itunes all say they don't support the codec or don't have the proper codec to play. Even downloaded a divx player/converter that says it supported .asf but it won't do anything with it. I may just be SOL but I hope not becuase I no longer have a PC to play these on or edit them with and would assume there is some form of workaround that i am just unaware of.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

when you try and play them what 'codec' does it say you are missing, .asf can be encoded in lots of different codecs.

It may say in the manual what codec it is. If we know the codec it will be easier to track down something that will deffinately convert it.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric,

Thanks for your speedy response, it says in the manual that they are in MPEG4 (.asf) format if that makes any sense to you. But the extension on my Mac just comes up .asf. But when I try to open it in any format it just says this codec is not supported and doesn't specify a particular codec that is needed....

Thanks,
Andy

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

do you have one you could send me ?

It may be easier to look at the filetype that way.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
just sent ya one...will be coming from (removed, so no spammers get it !)...thanks again

Edit:email address removed by Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Thanks got it played straight away in the email...

You need http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm

Try the free download player first, I have the player pro $29 which it worked in.

When I got the Player Pro version there was no free download version !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Windows media player for the Mac reports unsupported codec, but if you open the files into Quicktime Player directly they play fine.

If you have Quicktime Pro you can then convert it to whatever format you need...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric,

Thanks so much for the help. That download fixed me right up and as soon as I installed it it allowed quicktime to now open that file. Thanks again..

Andy

Ric

Reaction score
No problem...

Keep your hands on the steering wheel ! ;-)

regards

Ric

Ask a Question